Talk

Advanced search

Car hire and late night taxis at Rome Airport

(5 Posts)
holleyshiftwell Wed 22-Jul-15 00:15:35

We will arrive at Rome airport late at night (at 11.30pm) so I was planning to stay in nearby airport hotel (golden Tulip?) overnight and then pick up our rental car the next morning for our two week holiday (off to Umbria).

I am assuming it will be easy to get a taxi for four people plus luggage to our hotel at that time of night, and that we will then get a taxi back to the airport the next day to collect our car.

Is this a stupid idea? Will the taxis cost us ££££?

Also there seem to be two locations for car rental at the airport, at the terminal or via a shuttle bus. Does anyone have experience of this and could suggest which might be more straightforward?

Any advice gratefully received. Have never been to a Rome and am a bit worried about arriving late at night with tired DC and having a nightmare!

Thank you x

Sgtmajormummy Wed 22-Jul-15 00:25:33

I don't travel through Rome airport but I know that Italian taxi drivers are entitled to add a fixed amount €15 (?) on top of the normal fare for any journey involving the airport.

In that case I STRONGLY advise you to pick a hotel with its own shuttle bus to and from the airport for the first night/morning.

Lucky you, going to Umbria!

holleyshiftwell Wed 22-Jul-15 00:31:26

Thanks for that! I think our hotel does have a shuttle bus but it seems to stop at 10.30pm - and we don't land until 11.30pm..... Looking at the various hotels it seems that most of the shuttle buses stop around 10pm. So we may have no choice but to get a taxi ��

2fedup Wed 22-Jul-15 22:38:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

JeanSeberg Wed 22-Jul-15 22:45:00

There's a Hilton at the actual airport if that's an option?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now