Talk

Advanced search

Do you go away in August?

(7 Posts)
Lagoonablue Mon 20-Jul-15 22:03:40

Now that I am tied to school holls I am looking at what is available. Trouble is August is too hot and too expensive right? Do people really go tomSapin, France, Italy etc in August? I guess they must do but just seems super expensive to me, I am used to off peak.

Also half terms are now a no no due to DH working in academia.

Should I try for Easter holls instead?

What advice can anyone give?

Bunbaker Tue 21-Jul-15 08:40:57

We tend to go somewhere in the Med during the May half term as it is less expensive than August and not as crowded. We then go somewhere in the UK during the main summer holidays.

If you want to go abroad in August why not go to France, Northern Spain, the Atlantic coast of Portugal ,, Slovenia, Austria, the Italian lakes or the Azores if you want to avoid the excessive heat.

We have been to lake Garda in August twice. Yes it is hot, but not ridiculously so.

Lagoonablue Tue 21-Jul-15 15:58:20

Thanks. Not sure I can take half terms off now due to DH job!

YAsoNBU Tue 21-Jul-15 16:01:02

We have to go in August due to DH job. We go France/Spain/Italy. Northern Spain is amazing and quite green - the sea is cold! French/Italian lakes and mountains have loads to do.

mrswolf Tue 21-Jul-15 20:03:41

We've done Southern Spain, Ronda area, at Easter. We found it lovely at this time for sitting in the sunshine and sightseeing. Although it was T-shirt weather the pool was far too cold for a swim. Easter varies but you would probably need to be this far South if you decide to have your main holiday at this time and want it sunny and warm.

August is hot and crowded in the main holiday areas of Europe. We've enjoyed the Alps, Slovenia and Bavaria/ Black Forest ,Germany in August. We like Provence and Corsica, but have decided it is just too busy and hot in August for us.

crapfatbanana Wed 22-Jul-15 16:23:51

Mr Banana is a teacher so we have always holidayed in school holidays. Usually August, occasionally May or October. Always paid higher prices. We used to go to Greece, Turkey - well, anywhere in the Med - for a fortnight nearly every August. I loved the heat.

Since having children we have had several cheap stays in a friend's gîte in Brittany, a few days at Disneyland Paris, a few days at a hotel in Northumberland, a week in Menorca (package) and numerous stays with friends in the UK. We are also fortunate to live in Cornwall. This summer we are self catering in Northern Spain. I am really excited about it, and even more excited about the fact we are hoping to go to Greece or Italy next summer. It's been too long!!

FieryWill Sun 26-Jul-15 11:19:17

We always go in August. The last week of the hols is often much cheaper and quieter, particularly in France.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now