Talk

Advanced search

Do you know Corfu?

(25 Posts)
juneau Sun 19-Jul-15 18:58:38

We're thinking of going there next summer, probably basing ourselves in Kassiopi in the north, and I have a couple of questions if there are people on here who know Kassiopi and the island in general.

1) Kassiopi sounds like a small place and popular with English people, so is it really English or does it still have an authentic Greek feel? All the reviews I've read say how charming it is, but I would hate to go somewhere that was basically an outpost of England with everyone speaking English. I'm sorry if that makes me sound like a snob, but if I go to Greece I want to hear Greek spoken. And if it is indeed very English can you recommend somewhere that isn't?

2) What is there to do on Corfu? DH and I like a bit of culture and he likes water sports. It sounds like Corfu Town has a few things to see and we're really happy to swim, snorkel, potter by the pool, read, etc, but we like to have a few places to go on day trips. Apart from Corfu Town and perhaps a boat trip is it mainly sitting in tavernas and sunbathing or visiting beaches in other towns? The kids and I could do that and be perfectly happy, but DH will go bananas and be a total PITA. He likes to 'do' stuff, rather than just 'be' somewhere and relax.

jimijack Sun 19-Jul-15 19:03:11

We are going in 2 weeks to kassiopi in 2 weeks, watching this with interest.

Asheth Sun 19-Jul-15 19:22:10

We went to Kassiopi a few years ago. It is beautiful. The swimming is lovely, although the beaches tend to be stony. It certainly caters for the English- I saw cream teas on sale! But also saw plenty of Greeks there as well.

Will you be hiring a car as you will need to if you want to see the rest of the island. Corfu Town is definitely worth a visit, but apart from that we spent our time swimming and boating! There is a ruined castle above Kassiopi which has great views.

juneau Sun 19-Jul-15 21:09:37

Yes, we would definitely rent a car. When I went to Crete I always took the bus (and I seem to recall that Greek buses are pretty good), but that was back in the days BC (before children).

It looks like the sandy beaches are in the south, but I have no intention of heading of Kavos!

mollyonthemove Sun 19-Jul-15 21:18:23

Kassiopi is lovely but has got a lot bigger since we first went in 1999. Dh and I spent half term in aghios gordious on the west coast - it was amazingly beautiful. We didn't have the children with us (first time since 1998!) and it was perfect. Not a huge amount to do but for walks and sea and sand - perfect! I personally would
d avoid Dassia, Ipsos and kavos!

St Spiridon just west of kassippi is also lovely.

Wanna go back envy

WhereAreMyDragons Sun 19-Jul-15 21:32:19

I went to Corfu this year and absolutely loved it. I'm afraid I didn't stay in Kassiopi, but for a trip you must visit Paleokastrisa. It was the most stunning part of the island, you can hire a boat and captain to take you out (was around 30 euro for an hour) and tour round the little islands. Honestly, I would live there if I could.

Shakey1500 Sun 19-Jul-15 21:40:21

Ah my spiritual home <rubs hands>

Kassiopi has grown and whilst still traditional in parts, is leaning towards the karaoke end (not that I dislike karaoke per se, been known to warble a few). Picturesque certainly but I would say fairly quiet in terms of things to do.

Water sports wise, head to the South West (St. George South) as the sea is choppier that side smile

Kassiopi isn't too far a drive from Agni which is beautiful for a day. Has an air of exclusivity about it and Taverna Agni seems to be where celebs/dignitarys/corrupt mp's/oligarths etc dine. Whilst the food is delicious it's well over priced in my opinion and the owner is up his own arse The taverna next along is better imo. Stunning yachts on the right day.

Corfu town is a must. A good wander up and down the alleyways. It's mega hot there though, and again, if you eat on the Liston it's tourists prices. We took a boat trip there and when we stopped for lunch we told the captain we wanted to eat where he was eating. Cue a visit to a small cafe affair which looked nothing on the outside but food to die for.

The water park Aqualand is very popular. 35 euros last I visited so probably about 40-45 now.

We've visited the last 15 years and stay in a darling town called Moraitika (south east) It has a perfect mix for us of plenty of tavernas, few bars, gorgeous old village at the top. We love it grin

Hope that helps

Bunbaker Sun 19-Jul-15 21:46:39

I agree with WhereAre. Paleokastrisa is stunning. It gets very busy with day visitors, but it is worth it. We stayed in Arillas when we went, and liked it so much we went back the following year. Corfu is popular with Brits because it was a British protectorate between 1814 and 1864 and has been popular with us ever since.

Arillas is low key and has no nighclubs and few bars. The main evening's entertainment is to eat at one of the many tavernas by the beach and to watch the sun set.

mollyonthemove Mon 20-Jul-15 08:47:40

It has changed a bit really. When we first went, you could wander along the sea and just hop on a boat - there would be several people offering boat trips for super cheap prices (drachma days!) Now it seems to have been taken over by a couple of big companies. We didn't do a trip this year but a family who were staying near us were really disappointed in their trip to Paxos - says it was overcrowded, expensive and rushed.

mollyonthemove Mon 20-Jul-15 08:48:22

The pic is Aghios Gordios beach <sigh>

juneau Mon 20-Jul-15 08:57:52

This is all great info - thank you!

I'm not sure I like the sound of karaoke bars, tbh, and now that I think about it we really want a sandy, rather than stony beach, and it sounds like a lot of the beaches up north are stony.

I will take a look at some of the other towns mentioned. Finding the perfect place to go is so hard! I think if we do go it will have to be for just a week. I'm nervous that DH will be bored - and when he's bored he's like a bear with a sore head. Can anyone recommend a nice resort hotel with water sports and maybe kids clubs? Perhaps that's the answer to all our different holiday wishes.

Verypissedoffwife Mon 20-Jul-15 09:10:04

We went at may half term and stayed in St George's south. It was a really gorgeous beach with the usual water sports and cabanas which were cheap enough to hire.

It was pretty quiet when we went so no karaoke etc but I'm not sure if that changes when it gets busier. The tavernas all sold typical Greek food and most had steps down to the beach were you could just flop down and be brought drinks.

We went to ibiza town which was good. There's a castle which is well worth a look and also a church with the mummified body of a dead saint which was very beautiful.

Also there are 2 boat trips.we did the one which went to the blue lagoon and mainland Greece. I think there's another one that goes to Paxos and Antipaxos.

I do like Corfu but I think Cretes better if your into history as there are a lot more ancient sites there.

Verypissedoffwife Mon 20-Jul-15 09:10:55

Corfu town not ibiza town!

juneau Mon 20-Jul-15 09:52:12

The only place I've been in Greece is Crete and I've been twice! So yes, Crete is lovely, but if we go to Greece I really want to see a bit more of it. And I think if we go for just a week then the lack of serious historical stuff won't matter as much. Plus, traipsing around archaeological sites in July or August with an eight- and five-year-old would be pretty miserable!

One more question - if we were to go to Corfu + somewhere else (i.e. a week in each), what other destination would work well? The obvious islands would be Kefallonia and Zakynthos, I suppose, or somewhere on the Peloponnese peninsula.

mollyonthemove Mon 20-Jul-15 12:01:37

Paxos may work, Its just below Corfu

Onykahonie Mon 20-Jul-15 20:26:32

We liked Arillas, Ag Geordios and San Stefanos...not been for a few years, but I assume they haven't changed much. All have sandy beaches.

As an alternative, how about Skiathos and Skopolos as a twin centre holiday?

Onykahonie Mon 20-Jul-15 20:33:12

Just another thought regarding Corfu...not our kind of resort as we don't do hotels or kids' clubs, but friends of mine enjoyed their holiday in Glyfada.

Bunbaker Mon 20-Jul-15 20:41:24

We don't do hotels/kids clubs/organised activities etc, which is why we liked Arillas so much.

Most of the accommodation there is self catering, although the only self catering we did was breakfast as the tavernas were so good.

SooticaTheWitchesCat Tue 21-Jul-15 10:11:27

We are going to Roda next week, it is near Kassiopi but smaller and more tradtional from the sound of it. We haven't been before but it seems just like the kind of place you are looking for.

Onykahonie Tue 21-Jul-15 14:50:58

Bunbaker, I didn't mean Corfu wasn't our sort of place...we love it there. I meant a large hotel complex in the resort/area of Glyfada!

juneau Tue 21-Jul-15 17:32:18

Thank you - I'll take a look at Arillas and Roda. I'm not sure what we're looking for in terms of accommodation. My natural inclination is s/c with a pool, but DH is developing fancy notions of hotels. I'll get some prices for him and see how much he winces!

juneau Tue 21-Jul-15 17:33:50

re: Skiathos. My DB went there as an 18-year-old with a bunch of mates and I get the idea that its a) busy (because its near-ish to Athens), and b) somewhat of a party island. Is that true?

juneau Tue 21-Jul-15 17:36:02

Actually, just looked at a map and Skiathos isn't really near Athens at all! Right, will do a bit of research!

MyAngels Wed 22-Jul-15 11:30:09

Just wanted to pop in and say that Corfu is nice (have stayed in both Paleokastritsa and Kassiopi, both lovely) and Corfu town is fab too, but my favourite is Paxos. You need to get a ferry from Corfu (or I think there used to be a seaplane which was my dream, don't know if you still can). The beaches are stony, but you can go on a daytrip to nearby island Anti Paxos which has a nice sandy beach.

We stayed in Lakka on Paxos for 2 weeks about 6 years ago, it was Greek charm perfection. I'd be back in a shot (but want sandy beaches for the kids) - will book a villa there in a year or two.

We are doing the Skiathos/Skopelos twin stay this year though!

makemineapinot Sat 01-Aug-15 21:12:03

Just back from
Roda which has a fab sandy beach - some British bars but a good mix of nationalities. Kassiopi is more scenic but not as quirky as it used to be - quite a busy nightlife and yes some karaoke bars but still pretty with stony braces. A big AI has spoiled St Spyridion as the wee places have mostly closed. Been to San Stephanis is lovely but never been. We loved Roda though as it was a dead easy holiday and each was perfect!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now