Talk

Advanced search

What to pack - 6 & 8 year old package holiday

(10 Posts)
blink1552 Thu 16-Jul-15 13:44:46

We are taking our DC to majorca - our first holiday abroad and first package holiday together. We are staying at an AI apartment in a hotel type thing with various pools, a beach nearby and a kids' club that they may or may not use. Clothes are easy, I'll just pack all their summer stuff, but what about toys, games and books? How much of that sort of thing do you pack? I am a bit worried about boredom.

The 8 year old is a very keen reader and 6yo not far behind, so I am a bit scared about how many books they could get through! And perhaps a wordsearch or logic problems magazine for each?

littlequestion Thu 16-Jul-15 21:36:31

Mine don't read a page on an AI holiday..,,much too much going on. We took a few games to play before and after dinner but that's all - and only played them a few times. And they go to bed so late there's no time for reading in bed!

christmashope Fri 17-Jul-15 07:39:34

Best thing I did for my two was to buy them a kindle.
We go on a all inclusive package holiday every year and at around 3 when we have all had enough of the sun and are feeling tired we go back to the room and have some quiet time with books/kindles quiet often 1 or all of us will doze off!
There will be lots of things to buy when your there ie ball for the pool, various water games etc
Do they have a games console? Mine are a bit older but they take there iPods with them
Have a great holiday

PowderMum Fri 17-Jul-15 08:04:08

At that age I would have taken some colouring books for quiet times (and dinner) as it was pre ipad generation, and a the older one had a DS, plus some waterproof imagination play toys/cars that they could play with on sand, in water or wherever. I know now if I go away with my DN who are 6 & 8 the first thing they would pack is their tablets followed by beach games and pool toys.

Most important thing that I used to pack was an all in one (or 2 part) sun suit so they could play in the pool without getting burnt.

Heels99 Fri 17-Jul-15 11:21:02

We just take kindles, penS, couple card games, iPad.

blink1552 Fri 17-Jul-15 16:09:52

Thanks everyone. You can tell how out of date I am as taking kindles, ipads etc hadn't really occurred to me. Still, they are not getting kindles this side of christmas so paper books it must be.

Sun suits I do have though.

Imperial Sun 19-Jul-15 20:53:48

Card games, travel connect 4, word search and puzzle books work well for us. Last year I took a few Lego mixels as well which they built while waiting for food at restaurants etc.

PestoSwimissimos Sun 19-Jul-15 21:02:00

I used to take magic painting books, puzzle mags, Uno, checkers and books when ours were that age. They also had Tamagotchis (showing my age here)

blink1552 Mon 20-Jul-15 12:35:33

Thank you both. Actully the'd love tamagotchis!

blink1552 Mon 20-Jul-15 12:36:05

*They'd

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now