Talk

Advanced search

Need some recomendations please and possibly a grip given

(23 Posts)
Teabagbeforemilk Mon 13-Jul-15 07:02:09

Hi

Me and dh want to book a last minute short haul flight. We have 2 dc, 11 and 4 years. The last 10 years have been spent on holiday in Florida and Cyprus. We usually go to Florida in January and Cyprus in October, to visit family. Not in the same year. It's one or the other.

dh thinks Cyprus will be too hot and tbh neither of us want to fly for 5 plus hours. The problem is that since we havent visited closer places for years we aren't sure where are the best places for kids.

I have aspergers so hate places that are rammed (mum recommeded Benidorm but I don't think I could cope with a packed beach) but want plenty to do with the kids. Ds is nt but gets bored quite easily and is very active, so would be nice to have something other than the beach

The kids quite happily play on the beach for the whole day so a beach would be nice and somewhere there are plenty of places to eat. Hopefully somewhere with the odd day trip.

We looked at port adventurer last night, but then I started worrying about the recent terrorism aimed at British tourists and started worrying about leaving the country at all.

We also looked at disney land Paris but at £3.5 k for 4 days it seemed silly given we will spend most of the day queuing which will be hell for me and ds.

So was wondering if anyone has any recommendations of place that are good for kids, not a huge resort?

And if someone can pass me a grip about the terrois worries that would also be helpful! Thank you.

Teabagbeforemilk Mon 13-Jul-15 07:03:35

Sorry that should say they play happily on the beach for the whole day, but want to do something else after a few days.

Costacoffeeplease Mon 13-Jul-15 07:23:49

How about the algarve - I live in Carvoeiro, which is a small resort but very popular with families, lots of restaurants but not overwhelming

Portugal was also given the lowest risk of terrorism in Europe, recently

Teabagbeforemilk Mon 13-Jul-15 07:43:17

Ah thank you so much costa we will take a look! That sounds perfect.

Where we stay in Cyprus sounds similar. And not far to fly! Thank you going to check it out now!!

Costacoffeeplease Mon 13-Jul-15 08:42:46

Oh good, hope you find something - we're also a good base for day trips to Silves, Monchique, water parks, Zoomarine, dolphin watching boat trips, and boat trips through the caves along the coast.

Through the summer there is live music in the square by the beach every night, and families tend to wander down there after eating, for an ice cream or a nightcap, there's a really nice atmosphere

Teabagbeforemilk Mon 13-Jul-15 09:15:21

That's sounds amazing! Just perfect for us! Thank you! Dh really wants to go to port adventura but I think it's going to be rammed and stressful. But he and dd love theme parks. So feel bad saying no. I think he will like this though and plan a trip to Florida in 2017 so he gets a theme park holiday

Costacoffeeplease Mon 13-Jul-15 09:22:48

Well the water parks might be a bit of a compromise smile

Check out homeaway/holidaylettings/owners direct for apartments/villas or there are a couple of hotels - the Mirachora Praia, Tivoli Almansor and Carvoeiro Sol

Teabagbeforemilk Mon 13-Jul-15 15:16:52

He is happy with beach holidays. But i think he is missing florida. Its just not something we can stretch to at the moment. We don't like going during the summer anyway.

If we are going we usually go term time, but as dd is starting secondary, she does want to go. I think its important we respect her in that. I just can't cope the florida heat, ds and thousands of people.

Cant wait til he gets in!!!

3catsandcounting Mon 13-Jul-15 17:16:46

I can second Costa's recommendation - we loved Carveiro. My teen DD gets overwhelmed in crowds, and prefers somewhere more laid back.
The beach, although small, is really sheltered, and the waves are fantastic. Loads of good apartments too! GO!!

3catsandcounting Mon 13-Jul-15 17:18:16

Sorry, Costa - bad spelling!
CARVOEIRO! smile

ihatethecold Mon 13-Jul-15 17:36:45

We went to carvoeiro about 10 years ago.Lovely beaches, friendly people. sounds perfect for your needs

Costacoffeeplease Mon 13-Jul-15 17:55:21

Wow, so glad you all enjoyed it here!

3catsandcounting Mon 13-Jul-15 18:44:18

Oh, I'd go back tomorrow Costa. Still have lovely memories of our last night dining at Tia Ilda, with it's fab view over the beach, and strolling up to Monte Carvoeiro with the beautiful courtyard of bars surrounding the fountain!
Never felt quite so safe on holiday before or since!

Costacoffeeplease Mon 13-Jul-15 18:53:18

Yes, have to say that's one thing I feel too, if happily walk around on my own at night - I had two women friends here for a week, a couple of months ago, and they were out until the early hours and walked back to their apartment - wouldn't think twice!

Tia Ilda does have a great view, as does Onze on the opposite side of the beach.

I think we can sometimes be a bit blasé and take it for granted but it is a lovely place - we first came on holiday in 1988 and moved permanently in 2003

Costacoffeeplease Mon 13-Jul-15 18:54:06

I'd happily !!!

teabagbeforemilk Mon 13-Jul-15 19:24:44

Sounds amazing!! it looks fantastic.

DH is a chef and likes to make lunch on holiday, using food found in the local food. Would we be better getting an apartment?

Any recommendations?

I am actually really excited now, which never happens when planning break somewhere new! you are all amazing!!!

Costacoffeeplease Mon 13-Jul-15 19:52:09

There are lots of apartments in Carvoeiro - it's more of an apartment and villa place than hotels really. If he likes cooking then an apartment would be good, if you want to be able to walk everywhere then have a look at monte dourado, Algar Seco, Colina Verde, Areias dos Moinhos, monte Carvoeiro, some parts of Quinta do Paraiso, and Vila nova. If you want to pm me any links I'll have a look for you?

There's is a food market just off Estrada do Farol which opens until about 2pm for fresh fruit, veg, meat, fish etc

3catsandcounting Mon 13-Jul-15 20:47:29

Oh, I loved that food market!
Costa; Is Onze the tapas place that's painted a dark browny-red? That was lovely too!
We stayed in great apartment up the hill past Onze; took about 10 mins to walk down to the centre, but a little longer going back (bit hilly, but great for the calves and calorie busting!!)
Algar Seco was very close to us - down many steps (and up again) but totally worth it. Fab caves and a lovely little bistro!

Costacoffeeplease Mon 13-Jul-15 20:51:38

No, Onze is a newish restaurant up by the GNR station, so about half way up the hill - we haven't been yet but it gets good reviews!! The tapas restaurant is still there too, and they've extended the upstairs balcony so there are more tables up there

Did you try the Algar Seco bistro, it's just on the left before you get to the steps down to Algar Seco - fantastic view from there and they do great lunchtime salads!

3catsandcounting Mon 13-Jul-15 21:25:45

Ooh, I've just googled the tapas place, it's much bigger now isn't it? What a great place to watch the entertainment below in the evening! The place we tried at Algar Seco was right down the steps with big sun shades; probably more of a cafe but nice all the same! The Algar Seco Parque(?) with apartment bungalows and pool, etc looked nice!

Costacoffeeplease Mon 13-Jul-15 21:30:09

Yes it is - great view of the square from that top balcony!

Algar seco Parque is great, and it's at the end of the new boardwalk along the cliffs, so very handy for a little refreshment wink

How long is it since you've been?

3catsandcounting Mon 13-Jul-15 23:43:26

We went in 2011 - I think it's time for a return trip!! wink

Costacoffeeplease Tue 14-Jul-15 06:31:49

grin oh yes, definitely!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now