Talk

Advanced search

Budget holiday - where to look?

(15 Posts)
Lezprechaun Sun 12-Jul-15 11:07:50

Ok so we have never been abroad as a family and have decided now is the time to do it.

We are on a seriously strict budget and limited to school holidays which dosn't help and everything seems to be so expensive!

I literally do not care where we go although want some sun so hopefully there will be something suitable.

There are 5 of us in total, kids age 12, 11 and 3 and we are looking to go this year.

Any suggestions of where to look for bargain late deals?

Onykahonie Sun 12-Jul-15 21:37:39

Do you have passports...if not, that won't be a cheap holiday!?
How cheap is cheap, duration of holiday and where would you want to fly from?

MisForMumNotMaid Sun 12-Jul-15 21:45:07

Ryanair have just launched a lot of seats at 19.85Euro to celebrate their 30th year.

We are going to Denmark, also school holiday restricted but booked last Oct. We got flights for just over £20 by booking the day they were released. Likewise we went to Iceland the year before (our first time abroad) and paid £37 for flights. We're going again out of season this time for £20 each.

With five driving is always an option worth considering and then you can take everything you need with you. What about France by ferry?

Lezprechaun Tue 14-Jul-15 00:55:36

Yes we have passports, bought them when I started saving for this.

At present the savings stand at £1400 but I could add more looking at October half term or maybe delay it till early next year if I need to save more.

We could fly from any northwest airport and don't mind how long we go for, a few days even would be fantastic.

Will look at the Ryanair flights now, thank you!

EachandEveryone Tue 14-Jul-15 01:08:01

My sister took her four to Bulgaria last year for that price. She didn't enjoy it but the kids loved it.

MisForMumNotMaid Tue 14-Jul-15 10:21:28

We tend to fly Easyjet because the generous hand baggage allowance means you're just paying the seat price.

The are due to release Easter 2016 flights shortly. On release they're from about £20 (i should point out each way, then you pay extra to choose seats together etc) then as they sell the price hikes significantly so it very much is the early bird catches the worm.

DH and I investigated various options before the prices/ flight times were release then we were able to book imediately. Other options we've looked into are the Swiss alps, Talin and Venice.

Our Christmas to Iceland flights were £20 on release but are now over £200 for the same flight.

Onykahonie Tue 14-Jul-15 20:57:41

We had a lovely (and relatively) cheap holiday to Alvor in Portugal at Easter. Weather not guaranteed to be sunny, but we were lucky.

WishIwasanastronaut Tue 14-Jul-15 21:05:15

If you are happy without a hotel try airbnb or 9flats websites and either drive to the destinations or fly with a budget airline.

Otherwise, buy a tent!

Or book cheap flights somewhere and find accomm. Once you are there...

IME the best and cheapest holidays are not offered to you on a plate. You need to do some serious research and planning...

Check out the thorn tree (lonely planet) website...

Surf, surf, surf.

Ask your family what they want, think where you would really like to explore and then check deals.

If you are sticking to Europe, try Croatia, Bosnia, northern Portugal, France, possibly holland.

If you are happy going to turkey or another nearby Muslim country, great deals there right now....

Good luck!

Branleuse Tue 14-Jul-15 21:14:42

look at canvas holidays and book one of their maxi tents.

We usually do eurocamp but after having a look round their massive 3 bed maxi tents, which are much cheaper than the eurocamp smaller ones, im going to do canvas next year.

nottheOP Tue 14-Jul-15 21:15:31

Icelolly.com is pretty bargainous.

I got 5 to turkey on thomson from Manchester to 1460 departing the first week of August

seb1 Tue 14-Jul-15 21:21:36

Try jet2 out off Glasgow, Scottish schools back mid August and our half term starts 10th October, so you may get a deal while English schools still off.

Seriouslyffs Tue 14-Jul-15 21:26:26

Go to Malta! Very cheap and exotic enough and sunny!

iwantgin Wed 15-Jul-15 11:14:44

Do you want to fly - or would you drive to France?

I keep getting last minute offers emailed to me from places such as Vacansoleil and Europarcs. These are campsites/mobile home parks. Some are in France, some Spain/Italy etc. For a family of 5 this could work out well for you as if you were in a hotel you would have to split into two rooms anyway.

iwantgin Wed 15-Jul-15 11:16:52

Link to Europarcs here offers

One site mentioned is Vilanova Park. We went there on year - as a family of 5. It was great.

But we did get bargain flights which made a big difference to the costing of the holiday.

We flew from East Midlands to Barcelona El Prat - and then the site sorted us a taxi transfer to get there.

MyHovercraftIsFullOfEels Wed 15-Jul-15 11:18:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now