Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Euros and holiday money

(9 Posts)
tilder Thu 09-Jul-15 11:33:28

We are off to France again this summer and I have been looking at cost effective ways of paying for stuff.

Previously we have taken a credit card that didn't charge for use abroad (but the exchange rate was rubbish) and taken some Euros.

Does anyone have any tips on the best way to deal with holiday money? Am thinking just using my normal bank cards would be easiest but am not sure if the charges and exchange rates mean I would be better off with an alternative.

I will definitely get one of those things for automatic payment on toll roads though!

derektheladyhamster Thu 09-Jul-15 11:36:43

Look at Martin Lewis website for up to date info. Debit cards are the worst way to pay for things. We have a halifax clarity ccard which we only use abroad, and take a few hundred euros with us too.

tilder Thu 09-Jul-15 12:57:30

Thanks derek. Looked at his money savings expert website and the Halifax clarity card definitely came out tops for us.I shall apply today!

Sgtmajormummy Thu 09-Jul-15 13:17:55

The Post Office give a good Cash rate of exchange and will buy back your Euros at the same rate. You may have to book in advance at a smaller branch.

Northumberlandlass Thu 09-Jul-15 13:22:09

I use MyTravelCash - It's brilliant.
I can use ATM without charge and get 1% cash back when used in restaurants & shops.

Hoppinggreen Thu 09-Jul-15 13:57:40

We take a few hundred Euros cash and use debit card or cashpoints for the rest

Sidge Thu 09-Jul-15 14:16:38

My DP is working in Europe at the moment and using his debit or credit card is the worst possible way to finance things.

He uses cash (Sainsbury's have pretty good rates at the moment, the PO is dire!) and we have just applied for a card which you can preload online with a UK bank and then use as a debit card in Europe with no fees or conversion charges. As the Euro is stronger here in the UK it means we get a better value using the card.

iwantgin Fri 10-Jul-15 09:26:55

I take a load of cash - and also load my Travelex Euro card. Keep an eye on the rates and purchase when it looks good.

I have used my UK debit card and credit card previously if necessary, but I don't rely on it.

The automated toll tag is worth it - no hassle at the peage smile Try APRR website- theirs is one of the better value ones - cost me only 10 Euros (iirc) 3 years ago, then for each month of use it is 1.70 euros - so this year I;ll be using it in July and August. The charges are taken from my UK Credit card which I linked to it, usually a few weeks later.

vindscreenviper Fri 10-Jul-15 11:46:02

I applied for a Halifax Clarity card for this year, we've used pre-paid cards in the past but they doesn't work in the pay at the pump petrol stations.
We used a Eurotunnel special offer to get our bip and go tag, worked really well last year as we use the toll roads a lot.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now