Talk

Advanced search

Italian lakes too hot in august?

(12 Posts)
ZenNudist Mon 06-Jul-15 08:21:03

I'm not great with over 30C and have ds(1&4) who I don't want to fry. Am I mad to consider lake Como for a week at the end of august?

Will ferries be ramjam and restaurants packed and overpriced?

Thinking air con sc apt near to town in menaggio or possibly Laglio, lake Lugano instead of Como.

Advice appreciated.

Rosa Mon 06-Jul-15 08:26:22

Generally slightly above the lake is fresher but who knows what the weather will be like . Right now its a heat wave ! The busiest time is to the weekend after the 15 august then it quietens down a bit. It is a beautiful area however rather than a lake with small children try the mountains something in the region of san Candido, ( or any of the mountain resorts really )lots to do for children , its fresher, its beautiful.

ZenNudist Mon 06-Jul-15 08:43:32

Thank you Rosa, I thought of the lakes because lots of flights to Milan malpaesa.

I will check out mountain resorts. I was thinking Italy for good food !

Bunbaker Mon 06-Jul-15 08:50:47

We did lake Garda in August - twice. We didn't find it too hot, but 30 degrees wasn't a problem for us. It was busy but we managed to find tables in restaurants and cafes easily and had no problem getting on to ferries.

ZenNudist Mon 06-Jul-15 11:29:44

That's good to know , Bunbaker. We are ok with 30, it's when it's 33 we start to wilt!

Want sightseeing trips out to pretty towns, take the kids on an adventure type thing. Think ferries will be fun for 4yo ds. Not so much for baby.

I'm still all over the place as to what to do where to go. It's not just heat worries, we also don't want to get bitten too much by mozzies!

Bunbaker Mon 06-Jul-15 15:50:49

Now, mozzies will be a problem. You will need insect repellant if you are a mozzie magnet.

I don't see why taking a baby on a ferry would be a problem. It is much easier than going on the bus. Ferries are cooler as well.

Don't book anywhere that doesn't have air con in the bedrooms because it is too hot to sleep at night without it. I cant understand why anyone would want to camp under canvas at that time of year.

ZenNudist Tue 07-Jul-15 06:39:51

Oh dear, just seen Bunbaker's post about def get air con. I have seen a lovely reasonably priced place but no air con. They're letting me fly midweek so saving £700 for more days compared to everything else I've looked at. They even have a shared pool.

Is no air con stupid? We have fans...

Bunbaker Tue 07-Jul-15 06:59:12

In the evening, at the time when you are likely to be putting the children to bed the temperature is still in the 20s, which is too hot for me to try to get to sleep.

Hadron21 Tue 07-Jul-15 07:05:06

We took our 1 year old earlier in the year. There was very little shade in the towns. I was standing in shadows and doorways! Loved it though.

LIZS Tue 07-Jul-15 07:22:04

We found Garda far hotter and busier than Como. Agree with mossies worse in Como though. Last 2 weeks of August would be quieter as Northern European tourists will drive home over the middle weekend to restart school.

Bonsoir Tue 07-Jul-15 07:23:51

If you like lake holidays but want cooler weather you could try Austria.

LIZS Tue 07-Jul-15 07:26:00

Oh and avoid Laglio unless you intend to join the George Clooney stalkers! Bus ride around Lake Como is not to be recommended, a serious vomit fest, take the boats.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now