Talk

Advanced search

Anyone been to Sark/Herm or the other Channel Islands?

(12 Posts)
WishIwasanastronaut Sun 05-Jul-15 12:05:17

Morning All,

I am becoming obsessed with the idea of staying on one of the smaller Channel Islands!! Is it a sensible holiday with 2DS ages 7 and 4? It looks so beautiful in the pictures. Practical advice gratefully received smile

Balistapus Sun 05-Jul-15 18:37:32

I went to Guernsey a couple of years ago before having children. It's really quaint, a bit like going to some pretty English villages in the 1950s. Mine was more of a history visit, in particular the fact that it was occupied during the war. Not sure what there is for kids, but i imagine it's a bit like cornwall for activities. Outside of the "capital", St Peters Port, it's very quiet. So if that's your thing then it's worth a visit.

RedCrayons Sun 05-Jul-15 18:42:01

I've been to Jersey, it's lovely. Beaches are fantastic. And you never really get lost, just keep driving and you end up back at St Helier.
Went on a day trip to Sark. It's very lovely, but tiny, I don't think you could do a whole holiday there.

marmaladegranny Sun 05-Jul-15 18:56:45

We had a fabulous holiday in Guernsey when the DC were 5,6 & 9 - although this was quite a while ago. Much time was spent crabbing and 'fishing', and various beach activities. All the DC are interested in history so we visited the Underground Hospital and other places associated with WWII, as well as walks hunting for dolmen (old burial mounds) and standing stones.
One of the smaller islands, maybe Herme, has a shell beach and we had planned a boat trip there but unfortunately the weather precluded this.

WishIwasanastronaut Wed 08-Jul-15 17:11:45

Oooh thank you for your answers! OK, then maybe a Channel Island-hopping holiday is in order. smile

Bunbaker Fri 10-Jul-15 23:32:37

I have been to Sark three times - it is my favourite UK destination. It is utterly beautiful and ideal for families. There are no cars - you either walk or ride a bike. There is no crime and it has an old fashioned feel, almost like a Boys Own adventure. For the perfect holiday all you need is a map of the island and a tide timetable.

Eggwhisk Mon 27-Jul-15 22:12:00

Go to Herm! I worked on the island in my youth and last year went back with my family. It really was the best family holiday we have been on. We were lucky that the weather was beautiful and we went to the beach every day. There are a couple of pubs to choose from for eating out or you could even do yourself a BBQ on the beach grin if you want to leave the island there are day trips to Sark or Guernsey. We found we didn't want to leave so spent the entire week mooching around the island.

I'm probably a bit biased as I have a lot of happy memories of working there but my husband and children were also captured by its charm.

fatbottomgirl67 Mon 27-Jul-15 22:16:15

Alderney is my favourite . Had years of family holidays as kids then parents took us all back for a week with out kids. Freindly, small island with lovely beaches. Can walk everywhere . One of my all time happy places

Morgan Mon 27-Jul-15 22:17:57

I live on Guernsey and would definitely recommend a holiday here smile guernsey has great beaches / food old fashioned ways and you can visit sark and herm . Herm is great no cars walk round it in an hour . I'm off there next week coming for 3 nights 7 mums and 17 kids . You can take you own tent or use ready erected ones with equipment , also cottages and a hotel . Any Q's ask away smile

Morgan Mon 27-Jul-15 22:19:19

Sark is also lovely and worth a visit but the beaches are better on Herm .

Bunbaker Mon 27-Jul-15 22:21:30

I agree that if you want a bucket and spade holiday Sark isn't great. However, I'm not bothered about beaches, and Sark is such an interesting island to explore.

Indole Mon 27-Jul-15 22:49:04

Guernsey is gorgeous! My parents live there and we visit every year, twice a year, and never run out of things to do.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: