Talk

Advanced search

please help...i just want a holiday for a week as a single woman travelling alone

(24 Posts)
vicarinatutu Sun 28-Jun-15 20:24:19

everything i look at is based on 2 sharing!

its driving me mad. i want to book a last minute break, i dont care where provided its safe to travel there, for a week, but as a single woman and as such i want to travel alone and stay alone.

can anyone help with recommendations please?

thanks

twirlypoo Sun 28-Jun-15 20:25:41

I always booked everything separates - so easy jet flights for eg then look on last minute for hotel deals.

You are prob going to have to pay more sadly, but package deals are a rip off when your single!

hesterton Sun 28-Jun-15 20:26:10

Have you considered air bnb for a city break? Barcelona is amazing. Lille is v easy to get to by eurostar

twirlypoo Sun 28-Jun-15 20:26:46

Also, do you want city break or beach?

I've mostly done city by myself - and I've used hostels rather than hotels too. You get your own room, but people are more geared up to be friendly and don't bat an eyelid that your on your own.

vicarinatutu Sun 28-Jun-15 20:44:48

im a total travel virgin so i think i just want a beach break - though i hate beaches!

something with sites to see but not city - i think id find that intimidating alone for some reason.

im just looking at travel zoo.....

vicarinatutu Sun 28-Jun-15 20:45:21

where would still have decent weather in september?

twirlypoo Sun 28-Jun-15 22:36:47

Hmmm, I'm trying to think!

I loved Prague - it didn't feel like a "city" and there's lots to see. No beach though! I went there alone, and stayed in a hostel - went back with an ex too.

Thailand I've been to alone, which had the beach but also sights to see. Quite intimidating going so far for your first trip but honestly one of the most welcoming and lovely places I have travelled in.

Greece is gorgeous but maybe worth steering clear of at the moment. If your not put off I LOVE Rhodes. The old town is quaint with lots to see, You can travel about the island easily but there is the traditional beach element too.

Lastly, What about Italy? I have never been but there are beaches, lovely food and some great historical places to goto. I hear good things about Croatia too.

I'm not sure I'm much help am I?! I'm very excited on your behalf anyway!

starsandunicorns Sun 28-Jun-15 22:40:48

I did malta bymyself though a few years back loved it

Katsutadai Sun 28-Jun-15 22:44:43

Istanbul.

Start with a short group trip to ease yourself in and then explore by yourself:

www.intrepidtravel.com/turkey/bite-size-break-istanbul-85280

WorktoLive Mon 29-Jun-15 10:32:07

Southern mediterraean and Canaries would have decent weather in September and flight prices should be reasonable if you are looking to book separately.

Should be safe for you on your own too - Spain in particular people are out late, so there will always be lots of people around in the evening. I once worked in Malta for a week on my own and went walking in the evening - I felt safe and the locals said it was safe to do so.

If it was me, I'd look at Nerja, near Malaga, Lanzarote (there's a new Barcelo adults only hotel that looks gorgeous in Costa Teguise), Malta, or a Greek Island such as Rhodes (I fancy the Lindos area).

TheHormonalHooker Mon 29-Jun-15 10:37:59

DH and I went here in Fuerteventura in April (we travelled with First Choice). There were quite a few single travellers there, about a dozen of which were women. Mostly they just relaxed by the pool reading.

The food was great, the rooms were a little dated, but we'd go definitely go back. We got an amazing deal as we only booked 3 weeks before! Oh, it's proper AI, you don't pay for anything apart from one bottle of water which you then refill for the rest of the time.

suddenlysix Mon 29-Jun-15 13:42:15

I don't have any advice but as a mum/step mum of 6 just about to take them all to Turkey in the summer holidays I'd just like to say - dear god I wish I was you! grin Hope you have an amazing time wherever you go x

ImperialBlether Mon 29-Jun-15 13:44:44

Vicar, could you go on a walking tour? My SIL goes on some really interesting ones all over the place.

Don't go on a beach if you don't like beaches!

ImperialBlether Mon 29-Jun-15 13:45:43

What's your budget and what are your interests?

patienceisvirtuous Mon 29-Jun-15 13:54:35

Maybe Sorrento in Italy, which is beautiful, and you could do some lovely day trips to amalfi/Capri/Rome etc

vicarinatutu Tue 30-Jun-15 21:22:40

budget up to 500 or so. still looking. ...thanks for suggestions so far. ...

HoneywithLemon Thu 02-Jul-15 07:58:30

My friend recommends Club Med. Lovely food but the main language/clientele is French. She went to Sicily last month. I think it was £700 is all inclusive

Ceejay14 Thu 02-Jul-15 08:17:43

I'd look at Croatia. Weather should be good still in September. Thomson has a lovely adults only hotel on an island just off Dubrovnik. Or have you thought about a cruise? Loads of single travellers (many different ages) and there's usually a social host who arranges dinners etc if you want some company at any point. Lots of ships have single cabins so reduces the cost.

ThatIsNachoCheese Thu 02-Jul-15 08:21:41

It is rhe perfect time to go to a Greek island. So so many to choose from, book flight separately and then accommodation.
I can help you find somewhere to stay if you pick an island.

WorktoLive Thu 02-Jul-15 08:27:20

Or what about Madeira? Funchal looks lovely to walk around, or you can go on bigger walks along the canals that transport water around the island - lots of companies do guided walks.

TheWildRumpyPumpus Thu 02-Jul-15 08:37:05

We went to The Hague which was great, lots of culture and near a beach (although possibly not sunbathing weather in September)

Branleuse Thu 02-Jul-15 08:37:34

most of europe UK down will be reliable weather still in september. Nice or Marseilles if you dont want to go too far?

MillyMollyMandy78 Thu 02-Jul-15 10:01:42

Not sure how bothered you are about a sunny destination but i went to Rekjavik, Iceland a few years back - first time away on my own so quite nervous. Weather should be decent in September (prob similar to UK).

All English speaking, prices ok, it is a city but only has something like 200,000 people living there so feels more like a small town and very easy to find your way around due to its size. People very friendly, and absolutely amazing country. I went whale watching, dog sledding, horse riding and hiking. Also have some fab shops and great tours which pick you up and drop off at your hotel - the Golden Circle is a very popular one and was unbelievably beautiful. It is by far my favourite holiday i have been on and would love to go back one day.

Wherever you decide, have a lovely time and i agree with pp about booking your hotel and flights seperately to get the best deal

Toffeelatteplease Thu 02-Jul-15 21:11:01

I think you are selling yourself short.

If you don't like beaches why are you looking for a beach holiday? What do you think of yourself on holiday, what are you doing? Are you sitting beside the pool? are you sightseeing? Are you tasting different foods? What are your interests? Are you looking for a little luxury or hostelling while you see the sights?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now