Talk

Advanced search

Can any one tell me about Oslo and surrounding areas?

(11 Posts)
Whathaveilost Sun 21-Jun-15 21:52:10

I am going to Oslo and will be there for about a week by myself in August.

I've never been to Norway.

Has anyone got any tips or suggestions?
The things I like doing are hiking, outdoor stuff and occasionally some contemporary culture stuff

Whathaveilost Mon 22-Jun-15 23:14:38

Anyone?

EBee57 Tue 23-Jun-15 10:15:30

Hi, sorry being a bit idle but there was a thread in March called here know Oslo which has culture stuff, I wasn't there long enough to do out of city things but it might help. Really enjoyed our holiday there. Sorry if link doesn't work, but it's in the Shorthaul thread.

EBee57 Tue 23-Jun-15 10:16:16

Sorry!! that was here know Oslo?

EBee57 Tue 23-Jun-15 10:17:18

Once more! it's called Anyone here know Oslo? Don't know why the anyone keeps falling off!

Whathaveilost Tue 23-Jun-15 20:14:30

Thanks for that.
I did look back on Shorthaul but not far enough?

barnet Tue 23-Jun-15 20:24:11

Lucky you! I live in Oslo, it is nice in the summer. You can easily take the tbane( underground) to the forests: Nordmarka, østmarka, Sognsvann, where it is easy to camp, hike, bath in the lakes. Eg go to Nøklevann, Burudvann. Look on the DNT.no website (det Norske Turforening) for walks, cabins, camping places etc. It's also lovely and easy to go to the islands in the Oslofjord, on one of them its free to camp. Your underground/bus ticket is valid on the ferry to the islands, so you can hop across.

barnet Tue 23-Jun-15 20:29:16

schools go back on august 17th. The open air pools (frognerbad, tøyenbad, and another one) are fun. Many museums: it is nice to take the ferry to Bygdøy for the Kontikki museum, polar museum, open air folkmuseum.

Whathaveilost Tue 23-Jun-15 20:30:12

Oh, thanks for that.
I'm quite excited about it now!

barnet Tue 23-Jun-15 20:35:08

You can also take the t-bane up to Oslo Summerpark at Tryvann (on the holmenkollen line I think), for ziplines up in the tree tops. Expensive probably, but very fun.

barnet Tue 23-Jun-15 20:36:06

Enjoy yourself!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now