Talk

Advanced search

Florence hotels - flippyfloppy and anyone else!

(5 Posts)
bottersnikes Fri 12-Jun-15 12:46:54

I have been inspired by the Florence threads to try and surprise dh with a trip to Florence for his upcoming special birthday. We will probably be able to squeeze in 3 nights.
Hotel sites seem to be full of special offers; does it matter where are in Florence - is the historical bit nicer/quieter? Is there a particular hotel that anyone would recommend?

Nevercan Fri 12-Jun-15 21:58:18

We stayed in the Hotel Mulino which has a lovely swimming pool and water wheel - great after sight seeing. The food was lovely. It was about 10 mins from the centre by local bus but they were nice and regular.

ComingtoKent Sat 13-Jun-15 22:52:37

We stayed in the Exeutive Hotel about four years ago. All fine, about 20 minute walk along the river to the museums nod centre. We went early Novembet which was lovely - no queues for the galleries and still warm enough to eat outside, although the the locals were wrapped up in scarves and coats.

bottersnikes Thu 25-Jun-15 15:13:06

Bumping for more ideas. Anyone else?
I've found what looks like a lovely place called the Pitti Palace near the Ponte Vecchio. Is that a good location?

SJane45S Sat 27-Jun-15 08:02:02

We stayed at the Hotel Kraft on our honeymoon. It's a 4 star and a short walk along the Arno from the Ponte Vecchio etc - a particularly lovely stroll at sunset. The rooms are fine - nothing hugely special but what does really make this hotel something is the rooftop pool & bar with lovely views across the rooftops of old Florence with the hills in the background. Laying in the sunshine, looking at the view, listening to church bells with a big big glass of wine in my hand was very nice indeed! The historic part of Florence like Venice is essentially for tourists rather than being somewhere ordinary folk live - it's nice though. Would recommend getting the train over to Sienna for a day. Would also recommend getting up early to beat the queues at the Duomo etc as they are stupidly long. Have fun!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now