First Family holiday - 1 yo

(10 Posts)
Julieb85 Wed 10-Jun-15 11:55:52

So my wonderful parents have arrange for me, DH and DS to go on holiday in November (all inclusive) for my birthday.

I'm a bit nervous about the flight and what to take as we havent been away any longer than a night with our son.

Any experience/tips as to what I'll need to take, obvs nappies, push chair, swim nappies and clothes - but would I need follow on formula or is local milk ok, or can you buy this locally. Should I take his regular snack too?

Heels99 Wed 10-Jun-15 11:57:45

Wher are you going as that does make a difference

Julieb85 Wed 10-Jun-15 11:59:24

Sorry should have said - Lanzarote from Glasgow.

Shadow1986 Wed 10-Jun-15 12:04:26

I found follow on formula easier for holidays. You can of course get milk anywhere but it's just keeping it cold and fresh etc. Or take with you and use a combination when out there and use milk as and when you can get hold of it.

Swim pants, nappies, wipes, usual snacks is a good idea. Although if all inclusive you could take some Tupperware and stock up on snack things at breakfast like cereal, fruit etc for the day.

We took gro bags for the night as had air con on, and was nicer than the bedding that was in their cots that were provided.

Pushchair, something lightweight and something you don't mind being thrown onto an aeroplane! Also you can get shade covers that are really good for when you're pushing them around for a sleep.

Uv tents are handy, lots of uv all in one suits, hats etc. Some sun shoes that they can wear in and out of the pool. Life jacket. Also some towels with hoods.

That's all I can think of just now!

Oh and the little bags with a wrist strap quite handy for the airport as it gets really busy and helps keep them close to you if they want to get out of the pushchair.

Yokohamajojo Wed 10-Jun-15 12:06:32

Mine was happy with the local milk but nothing else ;-) and lived on banana, bread and milk for a weeek! so if your DC tends to be a bit fussy on food, bring a couple of jars with you

Artandco Wed 10-Jun-15 12:07:28

It can be quiet cold in lanzerote in November, personally I would only put baby in pool of its indoors. Def no uv suits needed.

Take warm coat and blankets for when he's sitting around or in pram

Yokohamajojo Wed 10-Jun-15 12:08:03

Oh and on the flight, I once made the mistake of bringing toys that were too small, he was in to cars, but they keep falling down and are rather difficult to get once they are under seats etc. Bring bigger toys like interactive books (not noisy ones though)

Artandco Wed 10-Jun-15 12:08:39

Average temp btw is 18-20 degrees in the day in November, colder at night

Julieb85 Wed 10-Jun-15 12:51:21

Thanks - tupperware is a great idea!

Yeah I expect the temperature to be 18-20 thats hot for us Scots! But I'm sure its pretty windy out there.

I think follow on milk might be the best plan here. I'm even sure I can order this an pick it up at airport so I can avoid security issues.

Artandco Wed 10-Jun-15 13:22:20

Yes it's a pleasant temp to let him sit on beach or beside pool, or go on excursions and walk through the town. But just so you know it can be quite cold in breeze especially for young child, many times we have travelled over this time and others take just summer summer things and wonder why baby is frozen!

I just let mine play with the trolley stuff on plane. An empty cup, few sugar sachets, plastic spoons, eat the lemon slices! Plus few books ( but start with in flight magazines first!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now