Talk

Advanced search

Where and when is best for warm, but not scorchio? <fussy>

(11 Posts)
VolumniaDedlock Mon 08-Jun-15 10:36:30

we would like to book somewhere warm and beachy/swimmy for next year. the places we've been looking at are apartments or small houses, with small unheated pools. I'd like it to be warm enough to swim in an unheated pool - we went to the Lisbon Coast in Sept one year and it really wasn't.

problem is, I get a bit funny about places being too warm. we went to Turkey in August many moons ago, and although it wasn't a heatwave I really struggled.

so I've been wondering where and when might suit us best. On the shortlist so far are Turkey, Crete, Lanzarote or Cape Verde for May/June half-term, or Majorca/Barcelona area for August? Any thoughts

SweetAndFullOfGrace Mon 08-Jun-15 10:40:27

If you want it to be warm enough to swim in an unheated pool but not melting temp then I'd go for dry heat. Morocco (inland), Andalucia etc.

VolumniaDedlock Mon 08-Jun-15 10:45:58

thank you. We hadn't yet thought about either of those, but will have a browse.

Hoppinggreen Mon 08-Jun-15 20:26:41

We go to Andalucia in May/June and it's lovely but not too hot.

VolumniaDedlock Mon 08-Jun-15 20:45:00

great - sounds promising. we can fly cheaply to Malaga from here (and Marrakech as well) so I'm going to see what looks good near those airports.

Hoppinggreen Tue 09-Jun-15 09:54:31

We go to Isla Canela, we actually fly into Faro in Portugal as there are plenty of reasonable flights there from most airports and then we drive 45 minutes to just over the border into Spain

specialsubject Wed 10-Jun-15 12:03:47

pools are often colder than the sea, and certainly dirtier. Pick somewhere tidal with a sandy beach (so not the med) and the hot sand will warm up the sea when the tide comes in.

worked perfectly in north wales two summers ago!

VolumniaDedlock Wed 10-Jun-15 21:16:48

we had a cracking warm and sunny holiday in Abersoch in 2010 - friends we shared our holiday photos with thought we'd been in the South of France! If I could guarantee that weather every year I'd never go anywhere other than the Llyn.

Honeymoonmummy Wed 10-Jun-15 21:26:40

Watching with interest (but no suggestions sorry!!)

clottedcreamteawithscone Thu 11-Jun-15 09:28:08

We always go away in May as the temps arent too hot...weve been to Ibiza, lovely and comfortable and cool at night, Lanzarote again comfortable in the day but with a constant breeze and Cyprus this was probably the hottest out of the 3 but wasnt unbareable early May would be better for Cyprus though

clottedcreamteawithscone Thu 11-Jun-15 09:29:15

Also Cape Verde is imo adults holiday rather than families nothing at all for kids to do

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now