Talk

Advanced search

Is it possible to have a quiet family friendly beach holiday near Venice?

(14 Posts)
blueasthetiernsee Fri 05-Jun-15 15:44:56

Thinking about a holiday for May/June next year, with a 4yo and nearly 1yo. We'd love to go to Italy and it would be amazing to be close enough to have a day in Venice (I realise that won't give us time to see much but we can do it properly when the kids are older!). We'd like to be near a beach to keep the 4yo happy, but looking at pictures of most resorts in the Veneto with lines of sunbeds makes DH shudder.

I guess our ideal would be a small pretty seaside village with a nice beach, within an hour of Venice (or at least of the boats to Venice). Does such a place exist or should we just forget Venice and look further afield?

LIZS Fri 05-Jun-15 15:50:58

A few years ago we looked at a self catering complex at Caorle, a little further up the coast. Not been there though.

SunnyBaudelaire Fri 05-Jun-15 15:56:12

Why not look at Trieste and the surrounding area? I warn you though, the Adriatic is horribly polluted.

Polyethyl Fri 05-Jun-15 15:57:54

The Italians do love lines of beach loungers. That is the norm.

Mintyy Fri 05-Jun-15 15:58:00

Have a look at the Cavillino coast. You can easily get a boat across to Venice and spend a whole day there.

Suttonmum1 Fri 05-Jun-15 16:08:17

I'd leave it until they were a bit older. There are an awful lot of sheer drops into water in Venice and a lot of steps and cobbles that make it not buggy friendly. Once they are old enough to be trusted near water then it's great for kids - no traffic and lots of boat trips.
If you do go then I would have the bulk of the holiday somewhere else and do a few nights in the middle of Venice at the start/end. Then you get to see it without the worst of the daytripping crowds.

Mintyy Sat 06-Jun-15 00:13:49

Hey Suttonmum1 - did you actually read op's op? You know the bit where she says

"it would be amazing to be close enough to have a day in Venice (I realise that won't give us time to see much but we can do it properly when the kids are older!)"

There's only 5 sentences in the op, is it just too much trouble to read them all?

TeresaGuidice Sat 06-Jun-15 00:30:51

Have a look at Union Lido, it's an hour from Venice.
Not been but a mum at school recommended it to me, has been three times and loves it. So much so I went straight home and googled it, it gets great trip advisor reviews.

kidks Sat 06-Jun-15 13:33:35

I would Iove to go Greek island hopping next year or stay on 2 separate islands but don't know where to start looking. We have 3 children. The youngest will be 4. Any recommendations? Could this work at Easter to avoid the heat? TIA

blueasthetiernsee Sun 07-Jun-15 11:47:56

Thanks for all the replies. I quite like the look of Caorle so will look a bit further there but I'm starting to come to the conclusion that trying to be within reach of Venice will mean too many compromises from our ideal holiday, which probably isn't worth it just for a day!

StupidBloodyKindle Sun 07-Jun-15 11:52:38

Disclaimer: not been there in two decades but Lido de jesolo was only 40 minutes away from Venice. Sadly about 90 minutes from Verona (Juliet's balcony) but both trips doable.

HorsesDogsNails Sun 07-Jun-15 11:57:15

What about Lake Garda? We're going in August to a campsite which has a beach right on the lake, staying in a mobile home. We're planning a day in Venice....

MaryMotherOfCheeses Wed 10-Jun-15 22:03:17

Union Lido is great for kids but doesn't fit "small pretty seaside village". It is absolutely vast, with all the facilities you could want. I'd suggest booking with Elle Vacanze, rather than Eurocamp, we had a gorgeous caravan with a verandah through them. Though if you book direct, Union Lido has some pretty funky accommodation.

And frankly Lido de Jesolo is not pretty.

Caorle looked lovely. I wonder how easy it is to get from Caorle to Venice, it's quite a bit further away.

Personally I'd think about Peschiera del Garda. It's 1 1/2 hours by train at most from Venice, and has a bit more character / more things to see than Cavallino.

namechangingagainagain Wed 10-Jun-15 22:11:21

We spent last may half term at ca savio campsite. About 40 mins from venice by boat. Beach was lovely and vast with gently shelving sea. No pretty village but boat trips to venice and islands (burano in particular) made up for it. We did as a road trip with 4 children under 11 and is was great fun. 5 year olds highlight was gondala trip smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now