Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Carvoeiro

(396 Posts)
Costacoffeeplease Thu 04-Jun-15 12:40:49

I know there are several mnetters coming to Carvoeiro on holiday this summer, as I live here I thought I'd start a thread for any questions anyone might have?

ineedaholidaynow Sun 07-Jun-15 17:56:22

We will be coming, on your and other mnetters' recommendation smile. Thank you for starting this thread.

We have never been to Portugal, so some of my questions may relate to the country not just Carvoeiro, if that is ok?

Firstly, especially in public pools, are there any restrictions eg have to wear swimming hats, certain types of swimming trunks? Please tell me I don't need to get DH a pair of speedos blush. Avoided pools in France for this reason

Secondly, our resort is supposedly in walking distance from the beach, restaurants etc. we haven't booked a car, but may wish to do so for a couple of days. Can we easily do this when we are there?

I am sure I will have some more questions nearer the time

Costacoffeeplease Sun 07-Jun-15 20:25:10

Hi - no restrictions on clothing or swimming hats smile in communal pools so you can relax on the budgie smuggler front! (Different in municipal indoor pools where you used to have to have a doctor's certificate until recently blush )

Where are you staying? There are lots of places to hire cars but there can be a shortage in peak season

mrsdavidbowie Sun 07-Jun-15 20:26:52

I love Carvouero..been about 8 times. Sadly not this year.

Costacoffeeplease Sun 07-Jun-15 20:31:02

There's always next year mrs

cococandyfloss Tue 09-Jun-15 16:38:19

Oh I really like the sound of Carvoeiro, We tend to go and stay around burgau, Salema that sort of area-How far a drive is Carvoeiro?-think I would like to do a little recce this year!

Costacoffeeplease Tue 09-Jun-15 16:43:48

We're about 20-30 minutes from Burgau, take the A22 to Lagoa, then follow the signs to Lagoa Sud then Carvoeiro - it's not as quiet as Burgau, but not like Albufeira/Praia da Rocha, maybe more like Luz?

mrsdavidbowie Tue 09-Jun-15 17:29:12

I can spell Carvoeiro honestly. blush

mrsdavidbowie Tue 09-Jun-15 17:30:11

I love Silves in the evening.
And O stop..we could walk there from our villa over the cliff

Behooven Wed 10-Jun-15 21:45:38

Please don't walk over the cliff mrs shock wink

majormoo Tue 16-Jun-15 16:39:34

My question is how on earth do you narrow down where to stay! If we go abroad we generally do eurocamp style driving holidays to France/Spain.
However next summer (just before schools go back in England) we have a family wedding in the Algarve. So we will hopefully turn this into our summer holiday next year. There seem to be lots of reasonably priced apartments/villas in the Algarve but there are millions of them. At the moment just trying to figure out how cheaply I can get flights/car/accommodation for 2 adults and 4 kids.

Costacoffeeplease Tue 16-Jun-15 16:47:56

Where is the wedding being held major ?

I think the first thing to think about is whether you want to hire a car or be within walking distance of beach/restaurants etc, that might narrow it down quite a bit - then by number of bedrooms, whether you want a communal pool, wifi etc

If you want big beaches and biz then look at Albufeira, Armação de Pêra, Praia da Rocha - more upmarket Vilamoura, vale de lobo, Quinta do Lago - smaller towns Carvoeiro, Luz, Alvor, Lagos, Tavira, Cabanas, inland - Silves, Algoz, Monchique

See if you can get a feel for the type of place you'll feel most comfortable and relaxed

Costacoffeeplease Tue 16-Jun-15 16:49:01

I just noticed the 2 adults 4 kids bit, there aren't that many 3 bed apartments but lots of 3 bed villas, so that's something else to think about

Lweji Tue 16-Jun-15 16:54:38

So, Carvoeiro, you say?

<will be on the lookout for secret signal scarves>

Costacoffeeplease Tue 16-Jun-15 16:58:35

Except it's too hot for scarves here in summer - maybe in winter wink

Lweji Tue 16-Jun-15 17:06:21

It depends on the Summer...

Costacoffeeplease Tue 16-Jun-15 17:08:23

Not when it's a Carvoeiro summer smile

majormoo Tue 16-Jun-15 17:17:44

Thanks Costa lots to look at there.
Not sure of exact wedding location yet (!) Just been told Algarve and airport Faro. The exact date is still to be finalised but should be sorted soon. Either way I'd envisage we'd hire a car. I'd be delighted with no wifi but Dd will not! Scarily she'll be 13 by our holiday next summer. Because of flights and car hire I am thinking we're going to have quite a few extra costs to our usual holidays

Costacoffeeplease Tue 16-Jun-15 17:23:58

Probably best to find out where it's going to be, as although the Algarve isn't huge, you don't want to be at one end and the wedding at the other!

RupertTheBear Tue 16-Jun-15 17:34:48

Ooh I'm coming to carvoeiro this summer. We have a big villa for 4 adults and 5 children. Recommendations for nice beaches with parking and good sightseeing day trips would be great. We have cars hired so travelling isn't a problem.

Costacoffeeplease Tue 16-Jun-15 18:04:45

Praia de Centeanes and Praia Grande are both bigger than Carvoeiro beach, Centeanes is closer (about 5 minutes by car from the centre of Carvoeiro) Praia Grande is between Carvoeiro and Ferragudo and about 15 minutes by car, both have parking and snack bars/restaurants but best get there early to make sure you get a parking space.

Ferragudo is nice for a walk round, Silves is lovely, very quaint, ruined castle and cathedral but take comfy shoes, it's all uphill! Caldas de Monchique is nice to get away from the heat and buzz of the coast

There are dolphin watching trips out of portimão and Lagos, water parks at Lagoa and Porches, Zoomarine at Guia, boat trips off the beach that go through the caves - lots to do!

Best ice cream in Carvoeiro, IMHO, is gelados e companhia, with entrances from both the in and out roads

The live music in the square started a week ago, so there's something different every night of the week

The last Sunday in August is the local festival with a procession from the church down through the village, plus there are usually games on the beach during the day

And if anyone's arriving in the next few days, Saturday is Black and White night with lots of different live music and dancing shows throughout the village

RupertTheBear Tue 16-Jun-15 18:20:03

Sounds fabulous can't wait!
Any restaurant recommendations?

Costacoffeeplease Tue 16-Jun-15 18:28:27

Well some of our favourites are -
Ele e Ela (bit pricier than average but worth it, also best to book)
Bella Vita at Clube Atlantico
A Vela on the out road
Taste also on the out road
O Farol on Rocha Brava
Jomar on the in road, open all day from breakfast to a nightcap
Casa de Bife on Estrada do Farol
Ponto de Encontro on Areias dos Moinhos

Will have a think of any more....

RupertTheBear Tue 16-Jun-15 18:52:23

Thanks that will keep us busy! Are they all suitable to take children to?

TongueBiter Tue 16-Jun-15 18:57:49

Really want to book a last minute holiday here! Just concerned how far it is from the airport. Do you recommend organising a separate transfer to avoid being on a coach for hours?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now