Talk

Advanced search

Porto Pollensa

(11 Posts)
maggiethecat Sun 31-May-15 11:51:09

Have not booked holiday for first week in July yet (don't ask) but am considering here as I've heard good things.
It looks like getting something affordable might be tricky but will have a go.

Anyone recommendations for hotels? If not possible bcos of affordability/availability for July can consider for October.

seb1 Sun 31-May-15 19:55:22

Where do you want to fly from, how many and what budget ?

maggiethecat Sun 31-May-15 20:19:21

flying from edinburgh, 2+2, circa £3k

AliceMum09 Sun 31-May-15 20:54:37

I'm in Puerto Pollensa just now, at the Puerto Azul suite hotel (it has good free WiFi!). This is our second visit and I would really recommend it. Small-ish, you can sit anywhere by the pool and see your children the whole time, kids entertainment if you want it but it's quite low-key. Refurbished over winter 2013/14 so the rooms are modern and ours is not showing any wear and tear. Less than 5 mins walk from the beach and the Pine Walk, and the sea is so calm (unless it's very windy) because the resort is in a very sheltered bay. It's more like being by a lake really!

If that's the sort of place you are looking for there is also the Villa Concha, or the Flora apartments. There is a place called the Playa Mar, but it's a 20 minute walk to the resort centre. Or the Oro Playa apartments, that look very similar to where we are and are just next door. They do get mixed reviews though.

Hope some of that has helped. We come home tomorrow but I really don't want to! But since this is my 6th visit here (dating back to 1993 when I came with my parents for the first time as a 16 year old!) I don't think it will be long before we're back again!

thereinmadnesslies Sun 31-May-15 21:29:05

Avoid oro playa. We had a nightmare holiday there. The staff are useless.

AliceMum09 Sun 31-May-15 21:50:02

Yes, the Oro Playa looks like they are only using half of it - the balconies that we can see (the ones facing outwards) are not showing many signs of life, and some of the patio doors look dirty, but there are people round the pool so some of it must be occupied. Our hotel has been busy over half term, the Oro Playa looks a similar size but there are not as many people there from what I can tell. We're staying until tomorrow because the kids have an inset day and are not back to school until Tuesday, a lot of people definitely left yesterday so it's a bit quieter now.

nightswift Sun 31-May-15 22:01:14

We prefer Alcudia in the next bay as the beach is superb.We always go for a beachfront hotel - so hotel, pool, sand - for young kids it is hard to beat. Iberostar are reliable and have 4 hotels on this stretch of bay all beachfront.

Ladyhaha Sun 31-May-15 22:19:24

We stayed at the playa mar and it was great for young kids - lots to do & option of self catering or half board or all inclusive. It's about 20 mins walk to the centre, but we walked it every day and it was totally manageable.

makemineapinot Sat 06-Jun-15 22:02:00

We didn't like the playa Mar!! All Brits abroad, loud reps on the microphone all day and apartments were really cramped. Wouldn't rate PP as a resort either, pretty but expensive. I personally think there are much nicer places in Majorca!! Our favourite hotel/apartment was Club Martha in Cala Egos just through the marina from Cala D'Or. Beach not long and sandy but wee coves. Great unobtrusive entertainment going on inc archery, football, knockout championships etc ands very well run kids club. 4 pools all different and a great pizza bar!! Evening entertainer was cheesy but watchable (unlike the playa mar!) and you're 2 mins walk into Cala egos for lovely restaurants, shops, market, beach, marina, tourist train. Much cheaper there as well!

GetHappy Sun 07-Jun-15 15:50:12

I am looking at a week self catering here in September. what are the places like to eat? toddler friendly?

herethereandeverywhere Wed 24-Jun-15 12:03:46

Very child friendly. The Spanish in general love kids. The old town and port both have many lovely eateries and all would accept children of all ages.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now