Talk

Advanced search

October half term - any recommendations?

(9 Posts)
HarryLimeFoxtrot Wed 27-May-15 19:15:52

My DC (11 & 9) get 2 weeks for October half term (last 2 weeks of October). We're thinking of going away for 7-10 days (we can't be away for more than 7 working days though). There are 4 of us and we can probably afford to spend ~£2.5k.

I'm feeling uninspired - anyone got any suggestions/recommendations?

HarryLimeFoxtrot Thu 28-May-15 21:49:52

Bump (not feeling any more inspired this evening)...

goldacre Fri 29-May-15 21:29:30

We went to Sicily last Oct and it was fantastic - still hot enough for us to swim in the sea. (mid 20's). We explored the NW of the island, having flown into Palermo. I would like to return sometime to do the eastern side of Sicily. For Easter, we based ourselves near Tarifa, Spain which would also be a good bet weather wise for the end of Oct. This Oct, we're heading to Portugal. What I would say - is, buy your flights soon especially if you're heading for sunnier climes.

Hoppinggreen Fri 29-May-15 22:46:08

We always go to Southern Spain - Isla canela in Andalucia ( fly in to Faro and turn right).
Always lovely and warm

HarryLimeFoxtrot Sat 30-May-15 17:28:05

Thanks for the suggestions. We went to Rhodes at Easter, which was lovely. I'm hoping to go somewhere involving a shorter flight this time (so both Spain and Scicily would fit the bill).

lavendersun Sat 30-May-15 17:31:45

We are going to Italy at October half term, flying to Bologna for a couple of days, train to Rimini for a night at the beach and then train to Florence before flying back from there - six nights total, all very easy.

I booked it when we got back from Rome at Easter as I am always inspired to book something else and it is always very cheap so far in advance.

All booked through BA, flights and hotel for £1000 for three of us B & B, typical 4* european city hotels.

Behooven Sat 30-May-15 17:32:15

I would recommend Portugal as well, we've been a few times in mid October.

goldacre Sun 31-May-15 01:01:27

Stayed at this beachside villa with pool in Sicily.

and this hotel in Spain. I booked directly with the hotel - 2 interconnecting rooms on HB (we have similar aged DC to yours).

I buy budget flights which gives me the option to splurge more than I might otherwise on the accommodation.

HarryLimeFoxtrot Wed 17-Jun-15 19:22:29

Thanks for all your advice. We've booked a week in Portugal. Only 4 months to go...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now