Talk

Advanced search

Booking via onthebeach - taking a risk or are they ok?

(24 Posts)
monkeynumberthree Tue 19-May-15 11:42:22

I've found a short-haul summer holiday that I really like the look of. I've been to the travel agent today and they have exactly the same holiday, but for almost £900 more. shock When I said that I'd seen it for considerably less on the onthebeach website she then told me how terrible they are and how we'd be taking a massive risk of having a nightmare holiday. I think that this was just that she wanted the booking, but I'm fretting now! Has anyone used onthebeach and if so, are they ok? This will be our first holiday for many years and obviously I want it to be perfect grin (but I can't afford an extra £900!)

monkeynumberthree Tue 19-May-15 20:10:03

Bump

mrsbob Tue 19-May-15 20:55:15

We've used them several times now and not had any issues. You don't get a rep at the hotel in the same way as other holiday companies do but we don't tend to book anything through the rep anyway. We will definitely use them again ��

MrsTrelis Tue 19-May-15 21:01:40

We went to Mallorca with onthebeach. We had to add transfers, and there wasn't any rep, but we had a great time!

monkeynumberthree Tue 19-May-15 21:04:49

Thank you, that's reassuring smile

AlphaBravoHenryFoxtons Tue 19-May-15 22:18:57

I've used them twice before and excellent both times.

AliceMum09 Wed 20-May-15 08:21:27

Some friends of ours went to Menorca last year on a 'package-type' holiday booked through onthebeach and they had no problems.

I don't know how it compares, but we have booked to go to Majorca on Friday with Alpharooms (although this is for the hotel only, but they do sell all the other package elements too). We've used them before and their offices are about a mile from our house near Sheffield city centre so I know they are a 'real' company.

iwantgin Wed 20-May-15 14:35:46

Have you looked at booking the components separately yourself?

I tend to do that nowadays. Although am taking a package next week, so will see how that pans out.

CountryLovingGirl Wed 20-May-15 20:13:33

Hi,

We went to Malta a couple of years ago and booked with OTB. They were fine, no problems at all.

LimeFizz Wed 20-May-15 20:15:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

imnottoofussed Wed 20-May-15 20:24:44

Same as others have said no rep but didn't need one. booked with otb to Turkey in 2013 no problems at all. grin

HiawathaDidntBotherTooMuch Wed 20-May-15 20:26:28

We've used them twice for holidays in the canaries. No rep. All great. They were much cheaper than other holiday companies for the same hotels and transfers.

funnyface31 Wed 20-May-15 20:27:34

We have used them a few times for package and just hotel.

However, the flights are not 'at real time' and therefore if you speak to a real person you will get the correct price of flight.

I thought I had a bargain a few months back with flights and when they called back to confirm they had jumped up considerable. I was annoyed and cancelled it.

monkeynumberthree Wed 20-May-15 23:03:40

Thank you everyone!

Funnyface, thanks for the warning - I need to speak to them to find out about whether or not they provide car seats for the transfers for my youngest, so I'll double check the flight prices then.

Itsallaboutme3 Thu 21-May-15 20:57:38

I have used them twice before and just booked with them again. I have always found them good, and prices cheaper than anywhere else. I have had to call them once and they were easy to contact and really helpful

IgnoreMeEveryOtherReindeerDoes Thu 21-May-15 21:02:43

Glad to read this thread as my DD booked holiday with them, going next month

ginmakesitallok Thu 21-May-15 21:03:22

We've booked with them this year. Originally booked apartment in hotel for us and 2 dc, after googling I realised hotel was adult only, then noticed the name of apartments didn't match the one we'd booked. Took quite a few emails/telephone calls for them finally to admit their system had made a mistake. All I wanted was to change our accommodation without having to pay the admin charge. They asked us to chose new hotel, and we've now got new hotel which should have been about £600 dearer for our original price.

Fingers crossed it goes smoothly!

My tip? Double check your hotel voucher!

Figster Sat 23-May-15 15:47:50

This is really helpful I'm looking at turkey in august and saw on the beach much cheaper than others but had read some bad things from few years back and wasn't sure what to do. Might have another look at their site!!

Anyone here used easyjet holidays? I expect they are the same risk as to whether all goes smoothly or not

VirginiaTonic Sun 24-May-15 10:10:55

We booked with them last year and cancelled as the following day they emailed to say the price we had reserved the holiday at had increased by several hundred pounds, and we could pay more or get a refund! Not helpful at all!

thereinmadnesslies Sun 24-May-15 10:28:04

We used them twice. First time fine, second time we had a massive problem with the hotel (air con broken for 4 days, on day 5 maintenance chap burst a pipe repairing the air con flooding our room and soaking all our clothes) and it would have been useful to have a rep. However, it meant we could argue with the hotel direct rather than getting fobbed off with a rep so it turned out ok. I guess it depends how much you like the reassurance of a rep.

waddleandtoddle Sun 24-May-15 10:36:51

I used Easyjet holidays and it was so easy! I went to Portugal and when i met the transfer company, they had plentry of car seats and booster seats for use. Completely seamless - who needs a rep? :-)

Buttercupsandaisies Sun 24-May-15 16:34:07

I'd avoid unless going out of peak school holidays. Most of their contracts with hotels are not direct so when popular hotels get overbooked, it's on the beach that have to cancel and offer an alternative. This has happened to several people i know recently, some just days before departure.

picklesanne Sun 24-May-15 16:40:00

Have used them several times with no problems, would recommend them.

slalomsuki Wed 27-May-15 08:02:21

Best holiday the kids think we ever had was with Easyjet holidays to Portugal. Flights were at a decent time and on time both ways, transfer was smooth and left very quickly after we arrived and the hotel was great and a good bargain.

Have used Easyjet and Jet2holidays without a problem.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now