Cheap kid-friendly apartment in Amsterdam? Or alternatives?

(13 Posts)
Lovage Tue 19-May-15 11:36:02

Does this exist?! Amsterdam seems to be soooo pricey. Don't need fancy - minimal cooking facilities and a bathroom only. 1 double bedroom + sofa bed would be okay, although two bedrooms obviously better. Kids will be 9 and 7, so don't need small-kid facilities. But don't want to be in a scary area. We've previously stayed in the Jordaan area, which is lovely but I can't find anything less than about £1000 a week in late July, when we'd be going. I don't want to use air bnb or similar unregulated providers. Not mad keen on a boat, but anyway they don't seem to be any cheaper than land-based apartments.

Or are there ways of visiting Amsterdam but staying somewhere else with good public transport connections? Like Haarlem or Leiden? The main reason is to visit Amsterdam, so I don't think it makes sense to stay in e.g. Duinrell. I found this place in the middle of nowhere home.planet.nl/~groo0301/pagina_voorhuis/Holiday_cottage.htm for a bargainaceous 500E a week, but an hour to get into Amsterdam makes it more of a country holiday.

Any tips much appreciated. Thanks!

Lovage Tue 19-May-15 11:38:08

Or we could drive into Amsterdam from somewhere close by - I think we'd have the car with us, which is another complication in finding somewhere to park it if we are staying in the centre.

Meaningbusiness Thu 21-May-15 21:49:48

Hi there,

We lived in the New Amsterdam apartments for a year. You can stay there for a few nights and they're fab!!!!! We had exactly the same problem as you. It was a huge nightmare.

The apartments have a lounge, and two bedrooms. I can't remember how much they were for a week but definitely worth looking into. The only problem is they're difficult to find on the Internet. I'll see if I can find a contact for you.

Lovage Fri 22-May-15 12:38:26

Oh that would be great - thanks so much. I think googling 'New Amsterdam' is finding me places in the US!

mary21 Fri 22-May-15 21:08:49

Some friends of ours did a house swap to Amsterdam which worked well for them

Meaningbusiness Fri 22-May-15 22:48:10

Hi again. They're terrible at advertising. This link has their phone number. Good luck. They're fab apartments but noone knows about them!!!
4e340abd18507d858b17a110

Meaningbusiness Fri 22-May-15 22:49:05

Hmm. That's not worked. The address is Gustaav Maherlaan at station Zuid. I'll keep looking.

Meaningbusiness Fri 22-May-15 22:54:35

www.vesteda.com/en/amsterdam-new-amsterdam/contact/contact-new-amsterdam.aspx

This has a phone number on it. These are long stay apartments but I'm sure they will be able to give you the contact for short term. Good luck. We spent months looking for somewhere after living in the Marriott for a year and they were brilliant and in a great location. Totally recommended.

Lovage Sat 23-May-15 08:02:48

Thanks, will investigate.

Misty9 Sun 24-May-15 16:40:04

We stayed in the black and white apartment in de pijp area with our then 18 month old. Lovely apartment. Booked through a website...will try and find a link...

Misty9 Sun 24-May-15 16:42:04

www.budgetplaces.com/amsterdam-apartment-21976-black-white-apartment.html

Lovage Wed 27-May-15 22:20:49

Thanks Misty - the link doesn't link to a specific apartment anymore, although it looks like it ought to! Just to the homepage of budgetplaces. But I will explore.

Misty9 Thu 28-May-15 22:13:21

Hmm, not sure what's happened - all the sites it was advertised on are saying not available. We weren't that bad hopefully!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now