Talk

Advanced search

Long weekend in Rome

(6 Posts)
Poppy84b Mon 18-May-15 07:46:31

Off to Rome in a few weeks. Does anyone recommend the hop on hop off sightseeing buses or is it better to walk/take the metro? Planning to do all the obvious things and would like to catch some opera whilst there. things

Poppy84b Mon 18-May-15 07:47:03

Not sure what the extra 'things' is about at the end

MaryMotherOfCheeses Mon 18-May-15 22:49:46

I haven't been on the one in Rome, just in this country. they're useful for getting your bearings but if you've got a map and you like exploring, it sort of defeats the point. they're very overpriced, imho. Certainly I wouldn't bother with the guided tour element of them.

Personally I'd walk.

brotherhoodofspam Wed 20-May-15 21:43:49

Public transport is fantastic in Rome (once you get your head round how it works). Very inexpensive, we started off walking everywhere but after 1st day everyone's feet were too sore so used the buses and trams a lot.

tinkytot Wed 20-May-15 21:48:04

Pre book Vatican/Sistine chapel and walk or use metro/ tube.

Easy & cheap to get about!

budgiegirl Thu 21-May-15 23:22:49

We've been to Rome twice, and just walked or used the metro and trams. For public transport you need to buy a ticket at stations or tobacconists, not from the driver. And you must make sure you get the ticket stamped at the yellow machines before/as you get on - the machine could be either at the stop, or in the bus/tram.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now