Talk

Advanced search

ideas for autumn holiday with elderly parents and 7-month old baby

(10 Posts)
Alfazema77 Fri 15-May-15 16:00:03

I'd be grateful for advice on a 1 or 2-week holiday somewhere warm in late September/early October. Not too easy to find something that would meet more or less all the requirements, so maybe someone could help...

Would like to walk lots but the walks have to be easy as I'll travel with my parents (one with slight mobility issues) and a baby.

Warm but not hot.

A nice quiet(-ish) hotel either by a long seaside promenade for easy walking or in an old town would be ideal.

Would love to do some sightseeing as well if we go for 2 weeks.

I was thinking of Sorrento, but not sure if 2 weeks there won't be too long?

Many thanks in advance!

Hersetta427 Fri 15-May-15 16:37:36

Sardinia - Alghero is a loved old walled city with a harbour and a nice beach.

Alfazema77 Sun 17-May-15 18:45:22

Thank you :-)

rookiemere Sun 17-May-15 18:49:15

Sicily might be pleasant at that time of year. Taormino is at the top of Gardini Naxos which is a seaside resort.

Hoppinggreen Thu 21-May-15 11:11:12

Look at Isla Canela in Andalucia.
We own a property there but there are hotels as well

Alfazema77 Fri 22-May-15 07:56:25

Thank you, rookiemere and Hoppinggreen

I've been to Taormina a long time ago, I think it was lovely but a bit hilly - if I remember right.

Isla Canela looks great and almost perfect for us - but some reviews say the flies/mosquitos are a real pain that time of the year... Is that the case?

Hoppinggreen Fri 22-May-15 13:13:36

We have never had an issue with flies or mozzies and had been at all sorts of times of the year ( not Nov - March). They do routinely spray against insects though.
We have had the occasional bite if we don't use spray but no more than anywhere else we have been and my son is a total mozzie magnet.
Feel free to ask about hotels etc there as I know the area really well. You fly to Faro in Portugal by the way and it's about 40 mins drive from there.

oldestmumaintheworld Fri 22-May-15 13:18:38

Maderia is lovely. I took my 75 year old mum and she loved it. Long promenade, coffee shops, gardens etc. One week would be plenty. Public transport is great and the people are lovely. Also not too hot for baby at any time of year.

dingalong Fri 22-May-15 23:32:08

San Sebastian might fit the bill. The town surrounds a beach. Lovely promenade and fabulous food.

Alfazema77 Sun 24-May-15 06:40:59

Thank you all for these great recommendations! I don't know what to choose now smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now