Anyone had a great Villa holiday with toddlers?

(21 Posts)
sorcha80 Mon 11-May-15 13:33:52

Hi All,

We're trying to find a villa in Europe for a week in July and are having a bit of trouble finding somewhere that meets all our requirements! The most important ones being:
- Within walking distance of a nice town/village (at least a shop and a few restaurants)
- Has to have a pool
- Within reasonable distance of a major airport - would like to be able to book transfers rather than hire a car.
- Safe for little ones and with cots etc provided or available to hire.
- Sleeps 6 adults and 3 toddlers (all around 1.5 yrs)

We're not too fussy about the location, thinking maybe Spain or Italy though France would also be nice. Beach nearby would also be nice but not a must.

Anyone have any recommendations? Have looked at quite a few villa websites and sent a load of enquiries but nothing yet so hoping someone has particular villas they've stayed in that they can recommend!

sorcha80 Mon 11-May-15 13:34:57

Oh also an outdoor seating area would be great and a bbq would be amazing!

cococandyfloss Mon 11-May-15 14:26:03

We used to go to Mallorca when our children were littler we used to go to Pollenca area-we used a company called Villaparade who are no longer operating but had lovely modern villas, with great gardens/outdoor areas.
We also have rented villa's in Southern Spain and Western Algarve of Portugal but we tend to use Holidaylettings and ownersdirect sites. We also tend to hire a car as the villa within an easy walk seems to be so tricky to find.
A friend has mentioned Nerja in Spain though and I think there seems to be more accommodation choices nearer to resorts/villages?

Heels99 Mon 11-May-15 14:34:35

I would suggest getting a gated pool for safety.
Have you tried mallorcan farmhouses for Majorca, or exclusive escapes for Turkish villas.

CluelessNewbie1 Mon 11-May-15 15:06:13

mobile.ownersdirect.co.uk/property.aspx?token=aWQ9MTY2MjQz&h=zRn0%2BqwLcd9CMb0nb8%2FFaQ%3D%3D

Don't know how to do links. But we stayed here with 18 month DD it was lovely. They even had stair gates fitted.

CluelessNewbie1 Mon 11-May-15 15:06:39

It worked!!

sorcha80 Mon 11-May-15 15:18:24

Thanks all! Getting a gated pool seems almost impossible :-( we are looking though. I've e-mailed exclusive escapes, their website isn't working properly for me but hopefully they'll come back with something.

CluelessNewbie1 - the link half worked - it just brings me to a page with loads of properties in Giua :-) Which one was it you stayed in? A few others have recommended that area also, is it easy to get a transfer to? Was the place you stayed near to shops/restaurants? Thanks!

Heels99 Mon 11-May-15 15:23:37

I seem to remember that in mallorcan farmhouses you can filter for a gated pool.
Have you looked at Simpsons travel?
Or tried baby bolt holes?

CluelessNewbie1 Mon 11-May-15 15:29:35

Oh I'm rubbish with this! It was Villa Koumos at Gavalahori. The village was beautiful had a handful of tavernas, a couple of shops and a bakery I think.

www.islandambience.com/accommodation/villa-koumos

This should be a link but we went through owners direct

BadgersArse Mon 11-May-15 15:40:23

You want to go here mate

REALLY perfect

www.simpsontravel.com/greece-holidays/lefkada/hotels/mousses-creche-and-childrens-club?gclid=CjwKEAjwpsGqBRCioKet--bp_QcSJADCtbsb0wtzcJOtBWN0hcC--1xb3CZO1jTqMVl9y0oo1ASuDhoCwm_w_wcB

BadgersArse Mon 11-May-15 15:41:53

or here

also nice
www.simpsontravel.com/turkey-holidays/dalyan/apartments/dalyan-river-suites

Naicecuppatea Mon 11-May-15 15:42:11

Agree with Badger - we've been for 2 years running and Mousses is wonderful.

BadgersArse Mon 11-May-15 15:42:13

or the hotel next door
www.simpsontravel.com/turkey-holidays/dalyan/hotels/aydos-club-hotel

BadgersArse Mon 11-May-15 15:43:07

we went to Mousses in.. ? 2005, something like that. Kids run around with the others in the evening, privacy at villa, or chatting with others at the bar...

Local beaches not all that but a great holiday

BadgersArse Mon 11-May-15 15:44:53

With the River beach apartments in turkey you can have the grandparents in a separate flat upstairs so you all get a bit of space. taxi tranfers included, and no need for a car at all all the time. River taxis a short walk away and the owner arranges trips every day that you pay extra for.

VERY hot in the summer tho

TurnOverTheTv Mon 11-May-15 15:49:16

levieuxmoulindecrillon.fr/en
We go here every year, they have two larger cottages plus a pool. The owner has just opened a little terrace where he serves ice cream and drinks from 5pm. Three nights a week his wife cooks if you want to eat. Lovely little village, and a farmers market every night at 6pm. We go to Avignon and hire a car, it's about 25 min drive

sorcha80 Mon 11-May-15 21:40:42

Thank you for all the replies! Looking at all of the suggestions now.
Badger that's a good point, I do wonder if some places will be too hot for the toddlers in mid-july :-(

BadgersArse Mon 11-May-15 21:44:42

the sun can be really limiting on the med. I would suggest France as a better option, Make sure you get a heated pool though so you can swim if overcast.

Will dm you an idea

BadgersArse Mon 11-May-15 21:47:10

there are lots of France based tips here on Mn that people recommend

BadgersArse Mon 11-May-15 21:48:11

www.mumsnet.com/reviews/travel/self-catering-in-europe?f96=16&order=SR

ExclusiveEscapes Wed 13-May-15 11:19:37

Sorcha80 - Sorry to hear you've had problems contacting us, which isn't our usual service, do hope that you now have a response. If you have any further queries please PM me your details and one of the team will contact you. We'd love to help with a villa on the Turkish Mediterranean.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now