Talk

Advanced search

Child free for a few days - help us find somewhere to spend it!

(4 Posts)
GwladysFrightandthePups Fri 01-May-15 22:25:13

My ILs have kindly agreed to have DS (20 months) for a few days at the beginning of June so DP and I can go away. As it's only a short time (4 nights max, more likely 3) we don't want to go too far.

I want sun. We both want excellent food and wine, and peace and quiet. We're thinking Italy (have already done, and loved, Sicily and the Amalfi Coast) or Portugal, as neither of us have ever been. Can anyone suggest a resort / hotel that's not ridiculously expensive but nice, in a picturesque spot where aforementioned good food and wine will be plentiful? Somewhere without a long transfer from the airport would be good (and we're happy using public transport for that if available), and though we want peace, a town to wander into with a few bars / restaurants wouldn't go amiss. We need to fly from Stanstead, probably on a Monday / Tuesday to fit in with our dates.

Does such a holiday exist?? Thanks in advance!

Hippopotamousse Wed 06-May-15 11:31:56

Hi, for a short break without long transfers how about staying in Lisbon? A city may not be the most peaceful place but we found Lisbon fantastic - great food, great atmosphere, loads to see and do, easy public transport and not too crowded. If you wanted a day out of the city you can make it to Sintra and back in a day or could look at Cascais.

FlourishingMrs Sat 23-May-15 21:19:00

We love Prague and Rome,venice

guineapig1 Sat 23-May-15 21:25:00

If you are keen on Portugal, another vote for Lisbon, or maybe one of the quieter spots on the Algarve - Alvor is nice. We have also enjoyed minibreaks in Croatia - sun, sea and surprisingly good food and also the South of France. We though Venice was a bit overrated... expensive and frankly a bit smelly!!!! Might just have been when we were there though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now