Talk

Advanced search

Greece end July/August where?

(14 Posts)
CHST Sun 29-Mar-15 12:06:45

We are looking at Greece for our summer holiday this year. Have 2 boys 6 and 8. I have been looking through Thomson at package deals but there are so many and I know literally nothing about Greece. Where would you reccomend to go? I think narrowing it down to an island at least would help?
In terms of accomodation any reccomendations or places to avoid? I am so stumped! Thanks! Ps we like to see things rather than stay on resort the whole time

dreamingofsun Sun 29-Mar-15 14:47:27

all the greek islands we have been to have been lovely and also the mainland at stoupa ( a long time ago now so may have changed, but can't imagine too much). Rhodes, keffalonia, and somewhere else i can't remember.

for most places there seems to be one resort that is awful - unless of course you are 18 and love being sick and lying in the gutter blind drunk.

specialsubject Sun 29-Mar-15 20:16:46

the kiddy-drunk places aren't that many; Faliraki, Kavos, Malia, Laganas are the ones that spring immediately to mind.

remember it will be HOT at that time of year. Presumably you want a short transfer so consider an island with an airport.

Greece is trying to clamp down on all-inclusive, and this is good as going self-catering (i.e. eat in restaurants) will give you much better food. So you want somewhere with a choice in walking distance.

suggest getting a rough guide from the library and seeing what appeals.

CHST Mon 30-Mar-15 08:21:27

Thank you smile

MajesticWhine Wed 01-Apr-15 12:38:17

I have had a few holidays on the island of Skiathos, which is absolutely lovely. Beautiful beaches and scenery, simple holiday. This year we are going to the Sani Resort which is in northern mainland Greece. I haven't been before but have heard good things. Very family friendly, something for everyone. (very expensive though)

PestoSnowissimos Wed 01-Apr-15 12:42:00

Kos is nice smile

ginmakesitallok Wed 01-Apr-15 12:52:57

Koutouloufari in Crete was lovely, we stayed at Marni village, thoroughly recommend it. Food was fabulous everywhere we went and people are so friendly. Hersonissos is a bit of a nightmare, but the kids loved star beach (free water park by the beach), and koutouloufari is far enough away from hersonnissos that you can forget you are near it!

Kos is fabulous too, as is Rhodes.

I don't think you can go wrong with Greek islands as long as you avoid faliraki, kavos, etc.

NotLoveActually Wed 01-Apr-15 12:58:08

We stayed at the Thomson family resort in Corfu last year, it was a great hotel, lovely pools, setting, entertainment was good without being ott (which I found the first choice holiday villages to be). We had a family room with a sliding door to separate the children's sleeping area and ours. Hired a car for 3 days and travelled round the island which is relatively small, it was beautiful. One of the (very rare) places I would return to.

makemineapinot Fri 08-May-15 23:25:25

If you need flights from a local airport be guided by flights where you go just for ease of transport! Crete, Kos etc arefab, but so many resorts to choose from! You can't really go wrong, but yes, you will get ore from your holiday if you go self catering or b&b and eat out - real Greek food! Skiathos and neighbouring islands are beautiful - Troulos is pretty central with a fab beachand I used to work at the family run Korali hotel which is an apart hotel on the beach. Corfu is a beUtiful easy island to joy but avoid ups is, sedative, be it's and Mavis - Roda and Kassiopi are good!

crapfatbanana Wed 20-May-15 15:37:23

I've been to a few islands - tiny, far flung Kastellorizo off the Turkish resort of Kas is wonderful, but I think it would involve a long ferry journey from a larger Greek island.

Symi off Rhodes is stunningly lovely...but for boys aged 6 and 8 I'm not sure. Most of the beaches are shingly or pebbly and are only accessible by water taxi.

I think I'd probably look at Rhodes or Crete or perhaps even Corfu. Larger islands with sandier beaches and busier resorts but also great scenery and plenty of history/culture.

Bunbaker Wed 20-May-15 22:56:46

Just make sure you have aircon in your room as it is very hot at night at that time of year.

CHST Mon 08-Jun-15 20:57:38

Thanks for your input...we decided on Rhodes and yes to aircon!

Pumpeedo Mon 08-Jun-15 21:01:03

Greece is lovely full stop but with children I'd definitely say self catering. Coffee, hot chocolate, jam, etc are expensive in Greece so take them in your suitcase. Also take some sandwich bags for packed lunches.

Pumpeedo Mon 08-Jun-15 21:14:40

Oh yes and heavy duty insect repellant for the evenings. Mosquitoes can be rife!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now