Talk

Advanced search

3rd week of April - where's hot enough to be in the pool?

(14 Posts)
Schweetheart Mon 09-Feb-15 13:22:41

Canaries spring to mind but also wondering about morocco.

It'll be me, DH and dd1 (3yo) and dd2 (9m). We're quite good travelers.

Hersetta427 Mon 09-Feb-15 13:58:20

Egypt definitely or cape verde. Pools will still be freezing in the canaries in April.

SecretSquirrels Mon 09-Feb-15 14:41:17

Not Canaries, I agree water will be freezing unless you can find heated pool.

specialsubject Mon 09-Feb-15 17:20:09

sea is usually a bit warmer, and certainly cleaner.

buy them some cheap wetsuits.

if you want bath-warm water you need long-haul and jabs.

Laquila Mon 09-Feb-15 22:08:19

Woah, what?? Won't outdoor pools in the Canaries be warm enough to swim in April?? We've never been before and were thinking of Lanzarote in March, but is that a terrible idea with an 18-mth old? (Sorry for hijack...)

Cric Mon 09-Feb-15 22:10:49

Dubai!!

sleepwhenidie Mon 09-Feb-15 22:16:43

We always go away in May half term, just Europe (South of France, Italy, Minorca and similar). Bitter experience now dictates we only rent villas with heated pools because even in May the weather is a gamble. Never managed to find a heated pool in the Canaries though...

My other top tip is always check that pool will definitely be heated before you book-we almost booked somewhere this weekend, only when we asked for confirmation about this were we told that the pool heating was broken and unlikely to be fixed, they clearly had no intention of telling us until we turned up angry.

Schweetheart Tue 10-Feb-15 07:55:37

Thanks all. I've been to Cyprus the last week of April and it was warm enough for sunbathing though a bit chilly at night. Pool was indeed freezing.

SecretSquirrels Tue 10-Feb-15 09:00:16

SchweetheartYes Canaries very similar to Cyprus then.

Laquila I have been to Playa Blanca inLanzarote in April with teenagers who normally live in the pool and they were blue with cold within minutes. It was not a great success as they wanted a pool based holiday. However you can get heated pools in some hotels, ours wasn't.
You will get warm sunshine but not warm water. (In fact the pool and sea are never as warm even in summer as the Med).

Heels99 Tue 10-Feb-15 10:19:53

Sheraton fuerteventura has a heated kids pool and heated adults pool as well as in unheated pool.

Heels99 Tue 10-Feb-15 10:21:29

Been to lanzarote in March and it was nice for sightseeing but couldn't go in pools

Hersetta427 Tue 10-Feb-15 11:23:04

My Mum lives in Spain and has a pool - I wouldn't dream of using it until mid June.

Unheated pools in the Canaries in April will be , lets say, bracing. You may need to look further afield of choose hotels with heated pools.

JollyFrog Sat 14-Feb-15 23:40:29

We went to lanzarote last March and the pools were fine. And I hate the cold! I even went in the sea!

Branleuse Wed 18-Feb-15 21:08:10

you can swim in the canaries all year round. We swam in tenerife last january although that was mainly sea and rock pools (big volcanic ones as big as swimming pools)

the sea stays around 21 -23 degrees even in winter

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: