Advanced search

DS has decided he wants to go to Rome. Will August be unbearable?

(24 Posts)
TheFantasticMrsFox Thu 29-Jan-15 09:22:26

Given the option of where he would like to go, DS(10) has plumped for Rome <strange child>

We are really tied to school holidays now, and have the end of August roughly pencilled in as holiday dates. Will this be unbearable in terms of heat and crowdedness? Also any advice about places to stay would be really appreciated (simple tastes, happy to self cater, probably won't bother to hire a car)

Thanks smile

chillybits Thu 29-Jan-15 09:29:39

Never been in August but Rome is great for kids. We took ours last year in May. Loads of accessible history and they absolutely loved ice cream shops & restaurants. Would love to go again.

Mama1980 Thu 29-Jan-15 09:30:13

It'll be great Rome is always great smile

chillybits Thu 29-Jan-15 09:30:30

Sorry no advice about where to stay. DH was working there for a couple of weeks so we stayed in his work apartment for a weekend.

Eve Thu 29-Jan-15 09:35:42

Will be very hot & check places are still open, most Italians take holiday in August.

pinkyredrose Thu 29-Jan-15 09:39:24

It will be unbearably hot. I'm half Italian and spend a lot of time there (south ) we always joke in our family that only English people go on holiday to Italy in July or August. Plus Eve is right a lot of places will be shut as it's too hot to work. In my families town some places are shut for 2 or 3 months in the summer!

LastNightADJSavedMyLife Thu 29-Jan-15 09:40:33

Yes very hot and crowded! I would suggest maybe Oct half term, as it's still warm.

There is so much to do and so many places to see that personally I wouldn't be able to cope in the heat while doing so much walking. I am very much a cold person though smile

Great place to go with children though.

BrieAndChilli Thu 29-Jan-15 09:41:08

We went to Rome in August and it was fine. Nice and hot and not too crowded as the Italians leave the city for the month!!

worldgonecrazy Thu 29-Jan-15 09:45:03

Very hot when the sun shines, especially around the sites with no shade, but bearable with glasses/sun hat.

We didn't find it too crowded and most places in the tourist areas were open.

JohnFarleysRuskin Thu 29-Jan-15 09:46:02

Its a wonderful place for kids and adults. (Dunno about august though!)

We stayed in a chalet on a campsite -Camp Fabulous! - and took the bus into the city.

OttiliaVonBCup Thu 29-Jan-15 09:47:00

It will.

Perfectlypurple Thu 29-Jan-15 09:50:39

Rome is great, but it is very expensive. We we t in February so can't help with the heat. It snowed briefly when we went, which got the locals excited as they don't get snow.

TheFantasticMrsFox Thu 29-Jan-15 09:51:37

Ooh, johnfarley, I looked at Camp Fabulous and ipini family park (as an eternal optimist I glossed over the more than occasional atrocious reviews grin)

Is it easy to get the bus from Fabulous? Ideally we would be up early and out, then back for the afternoon. We have always used EuroCamp type places but have always had our own car. The traffic last time I visited Rome means I am more than happy to use the marvellous public transport grin

PatriciaHolm Thu 29-Jan-15 09:54:24

Our kids loved Rome! We went in Oct half term though, and the weather was lovely.

JohnFarleysRuskin Thu 29-Jan-15 09:57:30

I chose camp Fabulous purely because of the name! But fortunately it turned out to be a 'fabulous' holiday...

Bus was easy, pick-up near the site - and they also do (over-priced) camp tour buses. However this was May, I think...So the camp was very quiet and relaxed. Everything might be more crowded in August??!

PuppetPeppa Thu 29-Jan-15 09:58:37

It will be roasting, I was too hot in June when it hit 37c. The Sistine chapel and other attractions will be closed. October half term?

TheFantasticMrsFox Thu 29-Jan-15 10:08:34

Yes, October half term would be doable as well. I had originally discounted it as the campsites would be shut and they are our default holiday. Despite being a bit of a history geek, DS does like a pool etc at the end of the day smile

JohnFarleysRuskin Thu 29-Jan-15 10:16:27

May Half Term 2016?!

tribpot Thu 29-Jan-15 10:22:17

Also interested in accommodation recommendations for Rome, ds wants to visit but he does like a swimming pool.

OttiliaVonBCup Thu 29-Jan-15 10:37:10

It will be cheaper with the euro dropping against the pound.

worldgonecrazy Thu 29-Jan-15 10:45:00

Apartment rental is often cheaper than a hotel room.

The Sistine Chapel is not closed during August though August 14/15 are holidays so it will be closed then. The Vatican and the museum are a welcome relief from the heat.

senua Thu 29-Jan-15 10:46:10

We went to Rome in August and it was fine. Nice and hot and not too crowded as the Italians leave the city for the month!!

Same here. Perhaps it's down to individual perception. I had heard all the "don't do Rome in August" doom-sayers but found it fine.
Fine? What am I saying - it was AMAZING.
We found a fairly cheap hotel near to the end of one of the underground lines.

Siennasun Thu 29-Jan-15 15:43:29

I've been to Rome in August and don't remember it being unbearably or unusually hot. If you are staying central everything will be open. The main touristy sites are always crowded but I don't think this will be any worse in August as all the Italians will be have gone to the coast.
You could always have a day trip to a nearby beach - easy to get to on the train.

lavendersun Thu 29-Jan-15 15:51:53

Haven't RTWT but we went to Rome in July for a few days after we got married - it was much too hot for me, I fainted twice and generally wilted.

We then moved on to the mountains for a couple of weeks which was lovely.

We are going to Rome at Easter - I wouldn't go in the height of summer again personally but obviously others do and manage.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now