Talk

Advanced search

What is the weather like in Tuscany in August?

(16 Posts)
Wigeon Sat 24-Jan-15 15:21:58

I have googled this, obvs, but websites seem to say Pisa, for example, is average temperature 23c in August, which seems quite low to me.

Anyone been to Tuscany in August? Was the weather unbearable or was it ok?

SunnyBaudelaire Sat 24-Jan-15 15:23:05

I recall it as baking hot but not unbearable like parts of Greece are for example.

LIZS Sat 24-Jan-15 15:26:19

We went last summer and it was not nearly as hot as expected, certainly not oppressively so , pleasantly warm with some showers. Lots of Mosquitos though as it had been a mild wet winter.

Mintyy Sat 24-Jan-15 15:29:55

We went in 2012 and they were having a heatwave. It was incredibly hot (well over 30 degrees when we went to Sienna for the day) but beautiful. All those scorched fields of sunflowers.

I am not a huge fan of the heat but we could always find a breeze somewhere in our agri turismo, which was up in the hills, but I would say air con or lots of fans and a pool are essential.

Wigeon Sat 24-Jan-15 15:48:01

Ah, that's encouraging (I think!).

Actually, I was going to ask about the mosquitoes too - are they a given, or only if there's been a wet winter? It's been so long since I've been anywhere hot I can't remember the best way of deterring them - some kind of plug in thingie? I'm sure my parents had some kind of green thing you burnt which was meant to make them go away....

LIZS Sat 24-Jan-15 15:50:25

We had plug ins and still got bitten to pieces. I don't think that is the norm though. Florence was particularly busy with long queues fir the galleries although think you can prebook slots. Pisa less so.

Mintyy Sat 24-Jan-15 15:51:43

I didn't find mosquitoes to be a problem at all in Tuscany (unlike everywhere else I go, I am usually a magnet for them and have terrible allergic reactions). But then, as I said, I went when it had been dry there for weeks and weeks. I remember it was such a pleasure for us as we'd left the horribly cold, grey and wet UK summer of 2012 behind!

SunnyBaudelaire Sat 24-Jan-15 15:51:53

you must get this before you go, not the green coils, but a plug in thingy that you can get from Boots or wherever, it comes with kind of tablet things that you slide in to make it effective.
The green coils are effective but probably not for sale in this country.
BTW my abiding memory of Tuscany is scorpions.

Mintyy Sat 24-Jan-15 15:54:36

I think there is an Avon skin lotion that just happens to be fantastic at repelling mosquitoes (it wasn't designed as an insect repellent as such). I keep forgetting to order some before my summer holidays ever year, might just google it now and get some in ready.

Mintyy Sat 24-Jan-15 15:56:29

Here it is Avon Skin So Soft - have a look at some of the reviews ...

Wigeon Sat 24-Jan-15 16:26:43

Scorpions?! shock shock

SunnyBaudelaire Sat 24-Jan-15 16:31:19

oh yes tiny ones high in ceiling corners and in the deep marble kitchen sink.
I was just a kid at the time, there were five of us kids and we would listen enthralled while the mums discussed what they would do if one of us were bitten.....
it never happened though!

indecisiveithink Sat 24-Jan-15 16:46:11

I went in June and it was reallyfuckinghot. Scorchio.

ihatethecold Sat 24-Jan-15 16:53:24

We've been in June once and it was 44 degrees.
We are going to Sardinia in august so I'm already thinking we will boil.

Wigeon Sat 24-Jan-15 17:23:39

44! Centigrade?!

Anyone been there in August when it was a lovely 28 degrees (my perfect temperature)?!

LIZS Sat 24-Jan-15 17:26:07

28-30 was max last year , more often lower 20s. Had a scorcher in the Italian lakes a few years ago 35-40

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: