Talk

Advanced search

overwhelmed; please choose my holiday!

(4 Posts)
Misty9 Tue 13-Jan-15 19:25:38

We're sold on the idea of lake garda and could go in early June as hopefully not too hot yet. I'd done my research and thought either garda or bardolino would be best for our family of four (two dc under 4) But I can't find decent accommodation in those places and don't know where else would be good? I'm getting a tad overwhelmed with tripadvisor reviews too. Help! We'd have to fly from bloody miles away Gatwick so that's a three hour drive to kick the holiday off hmm and I don't want to have a trek at the other end too.

CatsAreLikeChocolates Tue 13-Jan-15 19:36:45

What about a campsite? There would be lots to do for the DC and if they're happy, everyone's happy. We went to this one Altomincio and it was amaze balls! They had this big, child friendly pool made out of what I can only describe as a type of rubber. It was gently shelving like a beach and fairly shallow (about knee deep) throughout, so perfect for little ones to splash about in. We hired a mobile home for the extra comfort and en suite facilities, but the tents looked nice too. There were lots of nice day trips and warm, pleasant evenings on the deck with the wonderful local wine DH. We hired a car and zipped about, using the ferries as well to see the lake from another angle. All in all it was a great holiday with our DD who would've been about 3.5, and our DS who was nearly 2 at the time. Have fun where ever you go. It's a lovely part of the world!

Misty9 Tue 13-Jan-15 20:56:04

I should have said - ds hates water so I was wary of going somewhere that centres around a pool, but that's most places on holiday I know!

Good to know the altomincio is good though; I looked at bella Italian camping but the sheer size of the place put me off a bit. Ideally we want to be walking distance to a nice town, and use the boats to get around, so as to avoid car hire. I don't know, I've had enough of trip advisor for one night and giving up sad

3catsandcounting Wed 14-Jan-15 20:21:52

Just to add.. we stayed at Camping del Garda last year; me, DH and 2 teens - was great! We chose this as Bella Italia looked too full-on for us (quiet teens!) We had a lovely mobile home with decking, plenty to do, probably more suited to younger children. It was right on the edge of the Lake, fab restaurant just outside the gates (locked at night with CCTV) The restaurants and bar on-site were good too; cheesy evening entertainment you could avoid if necessary! Good pool area, small play parks scattered around. 20 min lovely flat walk along the lake to Peschiera, very pretty with tons of eating and drinking places. Great location and lovely park. (There was another, smaller park next to ours called Camping Butterfly.)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: