Talk

Advanced search

First Time Travellers! (Ish)

(11 Posts)
FlippertyJibbit Tue 13-Jan-15 18:57:23

DH and I are thinking of taking DS (2) away for a week in June. We have never been abroad as a family.

We're looking to book somewhere in Europe, all inclusive for around £700-£800.. I have absolutely no idea where to start!!! I've been looking at onthebeach.com and lowcostholidays.com and I think my pricing is about right but I have no clue where to go.. Obviously family friendly but I don't want a massive resort, something quite small and close to a beach and the local towns?

Could anybody recommend anywhere? Me and hubby have never flown on our own anywhere so a bit daunting for us!! We've travelled to the USA a couple of times with family but this would be a first holiday abroad just me, him and DS.

iklboo Tue 13-Jan-15 19:02:34

We went to Lido di Jesolo in Italy last year. Very near the beach, family friendly (the main road closes at about 6pm so people can 'promenade'), water park nearby (depends on when in June you go - opens about 2nd week), aquarium / reptile park, about ah hour from Venice. We loved it & would def go back. We went half board though.

FlippertyJibbit Tue 13-Jan-15 19:03:47

Thank you iklboo, on my way to Google it now, was it nice and warm when you went?

iklboo Tue 13-Jan-15 19:52:22

It was lovely! 20+ degrees. It occasionally rained at night (it's near the mountains) but not enough to spoil anything. Loads of cafés & restaurants as well - plus Gelaterias. Try a different flavour every time smile.

It's not too far from the airport either so transfers are pretty quick.

specialsubject Tue 13-Jan-15 21:11:47

usual boring but important reminders: insurance to be bought the moment you buy the holiday, up to date EHICs if Europe, tell bank you are going abroad.

and June is peak UV so slap on the sunscreen and cover up. Lovely time of year though.

iklboo Tue 13-Jan-15 21:22:25

Definitely the sunscreen. The beach is in a sun trap bay. Beautiful, but hat, wrap, splat.

FlippertyJibbit Wed 14-Jan-15 21:15:31

Excuse my ignorance but what are EHICs? blush

specialsubject Wed 14-Jan-15 23:14:50

the European Health Insurance Card, replacement for the old E111. Entitles you to the same treatment as the locals get and is a requirement for many travel insurances.

NOT NOT NOT a replacement for travel insurance.

EHICs are free and you can apply online. Lots of scam sites but I think this is the real one: (any sign of request for money and it is a scam)

www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcareabroad/EHIC/Pages/about-the-ehic.aspx

they last five years. Everyone travelling needs one.

FlippertyJibbit Thu 15-Jan-15 06:21:25

Wow, fantastic thank you I'd honestly never heard of that!

One of my friends was telling me yesterday that when she went to Egypt they were attempting to make people pad for a visa upon arrival when the one on the plane covered them fully, crazy!

wannabestressfree Thu 15-Jan-15 06:28:13

Majorca?

specialsubject Thu 15-Jan-15 10:21:19

yes, that would be expected for Egypt. You either pay in advance for your visa or buy it on arrival before immigation (says the gov.uk website). It also says that there may well be 'agents' trying to get you to buy another, and there are tourist police to deal with this.

wherever you are going, get clued up.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: