Talk

Advanced search

Barcelona

(7 Posts)
piebald Mon 12-Jan-15 13:16:55

Myself and dh were given tickets to go to Barcelona in May, anybody got any tips on the best area to stay and things to do there. Have been looking and fancy booking an aparthotel but am making myself crosseyed looking at them all

attheendoftheday Tue 13-Jan-15 14:47:30

We booked an apartment through booking.com on ramblas del raval which is a couple of mins from las ramblas, right in the heart of the city. It was cheap, around £250 for 5 nights last September for a 2 bed place. It was very nice, but lots of stairs, though.

We were there with a 1yo and a 3yo, we enjoyed the beach (the one near the Olympic marina was particularly clean with beach showers), getting the cable car across the bay to montjuic for a nice walk and going on a day trip to Montserrat. The metro is fantastic for getting about, but some steps (we managed a buggy though) and lots of stories of pickpockets.

AmazingDisgrace Wed 14-Jan-15 10:25:09

I'd avoid staying right on the Ramblas personally, very tourist trappy and over priced. The Gothic Quarter (full of character, its the older part of the city), Eixample ( close to Sagrada Familia and great for shopping and some fab bars and cafes. I can recommend Tossa on Carrer de Napols for amazing croquetas) or possibly Gracia. Pretty much wherever you choose will be fine if you're close to a metro stop.

Like any major city there are issues with pick pockets and petty theft. I've never felt any more at risk in Barcelona than anywhere else. Its just a matter of common sense. Don't have your wallet in your back pocket etc

iwantgin Wed 14-Jan-15 10:28:32

How long are you going for ?

We went recently, but stayed in Sitges - as I wanted a more relaxed beachy break, with the opportunity to visit Barcelona. 40 min train ride - was great.

Other than that the last time I stayed in Barcelona itself we had a hotel just off Las Ramblas. It was okay, small and good value.

GillSans Wed 14-Jan-15 10:35:36

We've booked to go to Barcelona in August with the kids. Because it will be so busy, we've booked a bit away from the crush (La Rambla) in the Novotel City (I know that's not quite what you're after, but it has, and is near, a pool). We got a really good deal (suite with great views) and the area looks lovely. Barcelona is a great city to get around so don't be afraid to stay a little bit away from the Centre. It can get tourist crazy near to the sights, so it's nice to have somewhere to retreat to.

piebald Wed 14-Jan-15 12:33:40

Thanks everybody, i have seen a nice looking place in Eixample so mat go for that

Laquila Fri 30-Jan-15 22:53:02

Eixample is a good choice. We stayed a couple of streets over from Las Ramblas and it was ideal - very central but quiet enough to feel as though real native Barcelonites (?) lived there!

Book Sagrada Familia online before you go (it's amazing!), the airport bus is cheap and quick, the carnet Metro ticket is good value. It's an amazing city for just wandering around.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: