Advanced search

don't want to abandon my baby!

(18 Posts)
Reiltin Sun 11-Jan-15 11:52:09

How hard can it be?! We were looking at a cruise for our holiday this year and it had a great programme for under 2s (ours will be 23 months when we travel) - there were scheduled activities and the parents did them with the kids. Which is what we want. But unfortunately, the dates aren't working out for the cruise option. So I'm looking at resorts in Greece/Portugal/etc but all of them with baby clubs want you to drop off the child, which we don't want to do.

Has anyone been somewhere good with a kid's programme for under-2s that isn't a crèche? We're looking for something fancy, all-inclusive, and warm in May. (We usually camp but a pregnant wife has nixed that for this year!)

Really appreciate any suggestions. Thanks smile

MegMogandOwlToo Sun 11-Jan-15 11:55:50

I always thought that kids clubs etc would be for older kids (I.e 4+).

Can't you find somewhere with a pool and a park? In-between day trips and sightseeing, you probably won't have much time at the hotel anyway?

Mumblechum1 Sun 11-Jan-15 12:02:27

I suspect your wife would love some child free time, in which case you could occasionally leave her with a book by the pool while you take the little one out for the afternoon.

Otherwise as pp says, you can do your own thing as a threesome. Hope you have a nice holiday

Showy Sun 11-Jan-15 12:03:31

Why do you want a specific children's club? If you plan to have your child with you all the time, just have them with you. Go swimming and to the beach and to the park and to museums and take along a couple of books and some toys and go on a nature walk and collect stuff in a bucket and make friends with the family next door and on and on and on and on.

I'm not sure I understand tbh.

Artandco Sun 11-Jan-15 12:08:03

I'm not sure why anyone would want that?

Surely either you have child with you and do things like the beach/ sightseeing/ boat trips or you drop child and do that yourselves. Why would an adult go abroad and sit indoors painting?

Reiltin Sun 11-Jan-15 12:44:15

It would be great if there were activities that I can do with my kid - art, structured play, soft play, etc. There is only so long a pool will amuse her!

Artandco Sun 11-Jan-15 13:25:24

Maybe go on a different type of holiday then?

Ie we went to Croatia last June . Typical day with then 2 and 4 year old would be late breakfast, then 10am- 1/2pm sightsee somewhere usually walking and boat combo, dip in sea if on boat. Lunch. 3-5pm children nap, you rest/ swim / read between you. 5-7pm pool/ sea/beach ( not so hot then), back to hotel to change for dinner, head out to dinner/ drinks. Kids played after dinner on beach/ in town square etc depending on where we were. Late to bed

Sirzy Sun 11-Jan-15 13:27:38

Tbh I think if you want something with constant entertainment for such a young child then the UK is probably better as there is a wider choice of attractions and things

LIZS Sun 11-Jan-15 13:31:44

Seem to remember nct friends wanting this and finding the Annabelle in Cyprus had things going on which you could opt in and out of. Thomson also had stuff like Tumbletots franchises at one time , not sure if they still do in their family holiday villages.

MegMogandOwlToo Sun 11-Jan-15 13:32:43

If you don't think she'll enjoy the pool/beach and need more structured activities, perhaps you need somewhere like centre parks in the uk.

LIZS Sun 11-Jan-15 13:40:47

Eurocamp et al have activity stations for various age groups at sites across Europe, also Centreparcs there. Wouldn't be all inclusive though but an alternative to camping.

anotherdayanothersquabble Sun 11-Jan-15 14:06:20

Pierre et Vacances might have what you are looking for. We stayed inn the one in the link, garden access from apartment, gate to the beach, outdoor heated pool and the kids activities were low key and didn't mind us joining in with the arts and crafts with out youngest. They have lots of locations.

rookiemere Sun 11-Jan-15 21:12:07

This might be a helpful website

Heels99 Mon 12-Jan-15 13:04:48

...also, allowing your baby to be looked after by a qualified nanny in a crèche for a couple hours is not 'abandoning my baby'

maleenteringfemalefacilities Mon 12-Jan-15 13:25:14

Try a gite that has classes/activities in the garden - we went to one a few years ago, they did a teddy bear's picnic, porcelain painting, walks through the nearby vineyards.

Also had a very child proof swimming pool (with a shaded baby pool at the side) - will try and find a link.

maleenteringfemalefacilities Mon 12-Jan-15 13:30:13

Can't find a link but it was in a tiny place called Moulin somewhere, and close to St Jean D'Angely and a place brilliantly called Le Petit Cabaret.

BlackbirdOnTheWire Mon 12-Jan-15 13:37:48

Does your 23m really need 'structured play'??

My 2 have always been happiest when escaping structure on holiday - they love the fact that they can spend 3+ hours tipping water from one bucket to another without anyone telling them to get a move on.

Also, you'd be surprised how long they can spend in/near a pool. Just make sure you pack or buy a watering can, couple of buckets and similar.

If you were thinking it would be a nice way to meet other small children, I'd say that a parent-supervise children's activity is unlikely to be that well-attended. Parents are either trying to get some child free time, or they are having 'family time', which often includes children of other ages. We have a 5yo and a 2yo, no way on earth would you get me (or my husband) anywhere near a soft play on holiday if there was a swimming pool or beach instead! We'd head for the beach and trust we'd find another family nearby. Never been disappointed yet grin.

As for 'art', take a paint brush. Fill the bucket at the poolside, hand to toddler with brush, tell her to 'paint' on the paving slabs next to your lounger. Put your feet up, drink in hand, and admire her handiwork. Point out her picture has vanished in the sun, get her to do it all over again. Buy yourself another drink. Everyone's happy! Better still if you want toddler company, take a bundle of brushes and some bubble mixture, blow bubbles and every child in the vicinity will come running. Hand out the brushes, put feet up as before.

PeaStalks Tue 13-Jan-15 14:05:34

Kids clubs are there for those who want them they are not compulsory.
We never used them. At that age they are easy to entertain with beach /sea / paddling pool. Just pack some versatile plastic toys to play with and take turns at chilling with a book.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now