Talk

Advanced search

Tenerife - advice on which area please :)

(7 Posts)
PingPongBat Thu 08-Jan-15 18:17:54

Still trying to work out where to go this summer...

Random internet searches have brought up some nice looking villas in Tenerife. We've never been so would appreciate some advice on which area we might be best for us.

We'd like a villa & private pool, so we can self cater & have privacy, but would like also the option of walking to restaurants if possible. Our ideal would be days by the pool combined with some exploring of the island. We're not interested in water parks, more interested in a trip up the volcano, seeing whales/dolphins in the wild, that sort of thing). DCs are 15 & 13.

Can anyone enlighten me so we don't end up in a loud, late-night bar type resort? thank you!!

iwantgin Thu 08-Jan-15 18:47:51

I love Tenerife - have been a few times.

Most recent trip was with just DH - we stayed in a villa in Puerto de la Cruz. much quieter up there - and further from the airport but we loved it. However beaches are in short supply - so pools and the public lido for swimming.

Personally I am not a fan of Playa de las Americas - but the Costa Adeje which adjoins it is a little nicer - yet still busy for activities for the DC.

I like the area further up the west coast too - Los Gigantes and Puerto de Santiago. Again, not too much going on but that's how I like it.

Buses are great for getting around - and car hire cheap enough.

Ifyou look on villa sites - such as Owners Direct and HOme Away - there seem to a be a lot in areas nearer to the airport - Golf del Sur, and Callao Salvaje.

PingPongBat Thu 08-Jan-15 21:09:03

Thank you - can I ask why you're not keen on Playa de las Americas, to give me a feel of what it's like? I was looking at a villa in Los Gigantes, so I'd be interested to hear a bit more about what that's like too.

Dressingdown1 Thu 08-Jan-15 21:26:17

Los Gigantes is attractive and has the best weather in the island I believe. It is a small town with some good restaurants, some bars, a couple of little supermarkets and a few shops selling stuff like shoes, handbags, cosmetics etc. It is fairly quiet and low key, more for families and older couples, not a teenagers' paradise, no nightclubs or similar.

It is the best place to be for going whale or dolphin watching as many boats leave from the harbour, so you can just walk down the road, no problems with having to drive or take a coach trip. There are pleasant walks locally and you can stroll to Puerto de Santiago and Playa la Arena, if you are feeling energetic. There are also local buses running to the hill villages or along the coast to the busier resorts. Local car hire is easy too.

Playa las Americas is much busier and not at all to my taste. Lots and lots of cheap bars, big shopping centres and ime people trying to sell you cheap watches, jewellery and other tat. However loads of people really like it there, so horses for courses I guess.

I also don't really like Costa Adeje very much, but it is a bit classier I think.

PS we are going to Puerto de Santiago tomorrow!

ajandjjmum Thu 08-Jan-15 21:33:40

Having visited Tenerife when I was 4, we went again as a family this summer. We found very little to attract us, despite having a car and driving all around the island.

Sorry OP. smile

Obviously loads of people disagree with us though - maybe look at Tripadvisor for people's thoughts.

dingit Thu 08-Jan-15 21:36:54

Horrible place.

Same time in plane, other direction Rhodes, beautiful smile

PingPongBat Thu 08-Jan-15 22:09:50

Lucky you dressing!! have a great time, & thanks for the info. Tenerife really does seem to split opinions - perhaps it's the Marmite of islands!

Also considering the Algarve now... going round & round in circles ATM. I both love and hate this bit of holiday planning

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now