Talk

Advanced search

Villa near Carvoeiro, Portugal?

(30 Posts)
Sinkingfeeling Sun 04-Jan-15 23:50:54

Have seen a couple of people recommend Carvoeiro recently, and it does look lovely. Can anyone recommend a villa or self-catering appartment to sleep five for the last two weeks of August?

3catsandcounting Mon 05-Jan-15 11:35:17

Carvoeiro is indeed lovely! We went 3 years ago (2 adults, 2 young teens) and stayed in a 3 bed apartment which I would highly recommend. The only downside for me was the shared pool, so it depends on your criteria. Having said that there were only 10 apartments, half of which are permanent residences and those people weren't there anyway!

It was great for us, 5-10 min walk into town, bit of a climb on the way home, but it is quite a hilly place. Perfect for young families, very safe, loads of places to eat and drink, small but beautiful beach and the waves are fantastic!
I have the contact and details of the apartment; not sure if I can give them on here, but I can PM you if you're interested?!

Sinkingfeeling Mon 05-Jan-15 13:49:17

Hi 3cats - that sounds great, thank you. Would love to have the details of the appartment please.

3catsandcounting Mon 05-Jan-15 15:11:47

I've PM'd you (hope it worked?) Looks like it might be available in Aug too!

RufusTheReindeer Mon 05-Jan-15 20:05:12

Looking at this with interest as we have just had a very nice lady tell us that her villa is only available for the end of August and that's no good to us as ds's GCSE results are due

I was just about to post myself

Would like a private pool though so if anybody has any ideas they would be gratefully received!!

3catsandcounting Mon 05-Jan-15 21:37:28

Rufus - we've got GCSE and A level results in Aug, and I work in school so a very small holiday window for us!
There's so many lovely villas in Carvoeiro with private pools, just be aware it's fairly hilly (hard work in August!) but at least it's cooler climbing back up in the evenings! Lovely, lovely place!

RufusTheReindeer Tue 06-Jan-15 08:06:52

Thanks 3

We stayed in a villa in the hills about three years ago

But we were hoping to stay closer to the centre so DH doesn't have to drive in the evenings

It is a great little place though. DH is a bit concerned about booking from someone in Portugal as he has read too many horror stories about people getting to their villa and finding that it doesn't exist!!

Good luck with the exam results!!

budgiegirl Tue 06-Jan-15 20:40:32

We booked a 3 bed villa in Quinto do Paraiso through Algarvillas , it was a lovely complex of villas and apartments, about 15 minutes walk from the centre/beach. Our villa had a private pool, and the complex had a larger shared pool, there was a low key kids club, restaurant, bar, mini golf. I'd go back !

RufusTheReindeer Tue 06-Jan-15 21:17:20

That sounds great

Was it quite an easy walk, I have teenagers...they don't know how to use their legs

Will have a look at the website

3catsandcounting Tue 06-Jan-15 22:20:02

Rufus - our apartment was up the hill at the left side of the beach (facing sea). Was a bit of a climb, but late evening wasn't a problem! There seemed to be lots of private villas with pools up there; only 5-10 mins from beach, or the same the opposite way ending up on 'restaurant hill'. Also, up the hill on the other side of the beach, there was a lovely complex (Monte Carvoeiro?) lots of accomm, and a beautiful central courtyard filled with restaurants and bars (with pool tables!) - we only discovered this complex on our last night! confused

3catsandcounting Tue 06-Jan-15 22:22:08

I think if you stick with Owners Direct, Holiday Lettings, Homeaway, etc, you should be ok. (terrible that people have been conned with non-existent villas!)

RufusTheReindeer Tue 06-Jan-15 22:27:00

Thanks 3

I'll have a little google!!

Christelle2207 Wed 07-Jan-15 10:52:01

Might be worth looking at monte santo resort a 15 minute walk up the hill. Easily walkable at night and there Are shuttle buses organised too. Very nice apartments and townhouses and lovely facilities. Some are privately owned, others bookable direct.

RufusTheReindeer Wed 07-Jan-15 19:11:45

Thanks christelle

It looks beautiful

Costacoffeeplease Wed 07-Jan-15 19:38:15

I live in Carvoeiro, happy to answer any questions or help with finding suitable accommodation

Lloydcolestilldoesitforme Wed 07-Jan-15 22:12:56

Hi Costacoffeeplease

I am looking to book somewhere for 4 adults and 4 children. Do you have any recommendations? Mid range in terms of price... Do you know anything about this villa https://www.google.co.uk/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=casa+rostra+carvoeiro&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&gfe_rd=cr&ei=Ha-tVIOPNqHn7Abwk4D4Bw

I currently have it 'on hold' as it seems to be a good price (am guessing it is a bit cheaper as it isn't central. Any steer helpful!

Thank you :-)

Costacoffeeplease Wed 07-Jan-15 23:28:10

The main thing about this villa is that it is quite a way out of Carvoeiro, and not walking distance of the main restaurant/shop/bar area, if that's not a major concern then it's a reasonable price but you will need a car or use lots of taxis!

RufusTheReindeer Sat 10-Jan-15 17:49:41

Thanks budgie for your recommendation

We have booked a week through Algarvillas

Just need to sort the car hire!

louyem Fri 16-Jan-15 11:20:18

Hi just wondering does Costacoffeeplease think the location of a villa we have looked at would allow us to walk into town and taxi home? it is rua antonio alexia and urbanza cao salicos? the owner has told us it would be a 20-25 walk with 3 young children and that taxis are reasonable and aplenty. Would you think this is about right?

3catsandcounting Fri 16-Jan-15 14:26:28

Bump - are you there Costa??��

Costacoffeeplease Fri 16-Jan-15 16:21:21

I'm here!! No, I wouldn't walk from salicos, no pavements, windy roads, not that well lit. Taxis aren't expensive, but there are long queues at the taxi rank in the summer!

Costacoffeeplease Fri 16-Jan-15 16:23:40

If you want to pm me the link to the villa, I'll double check it

ineedaholidaynow Sun 18-Jan-15 20:07:54

Have been reading this thread with interest as we have thought about going to this area for our summer holiday this year. DH and I have never been to Portugal and we were wondering whether this would suit us and DS(10).

DS isn't particularly into water sports but loves swimming, and isn't too bothered by kids clubs. We all love eating out smile

We also like apartment style accommodation rather than family rooms, as we like to spread ourselves out. So was wondering whether to get private villa with pool or a 2 bedroom apartment with shared pool at one of the hotel resorts so DS will have more opportunity to play with other children. We would want somewhere within walking distance to the restaurants and beach (am aware the area is quite hilly, so hopefully will walk off some of the food and wine I will be consuming smile)

Any recommendations?

Costacoffeeplease Sun 18-Jan-15 20:20:20

Yes I'd say it sounds as though you'd like Carvoeiro, if you're looking at 2 bed apartments, monte dourado is in a great location, walking distance of the beach, shops, restaurants etc, it has 5 pool areas dotted around the complex and two tennis courts - I would go for a privately owned apartment as opposed to one owned by the development though, and some have great sea views! Monte Carvoeiro is another possibility

Let me know if you have any other questions or want to pm me links to any apartments or villas!

ineedaholidaynow Sun 25-Jan-15 14:46:06

Thank you Costa. We are currently looking at a two bedroom apartment in Monte Santo resort. Would you recommend there?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: