Talk

Advanced search

looking for cheap flights to somewhere hot for 8 people in the summer

(11 Posts)
hyperhops Sat 03-Jan-15 09:11:35

ok, so have only done holidays in UK since ds 1 was born (he will be 17 in April!) with the one exception of a trip to Eurodisney about 5 yrs ago.
This year we are in a slightly better financial position and I'm pondering the possibility of going abroad.Would need to be in summer holidays.
However - there are 8 of us. Me, dh and 6 dc aged 17,15,13,11,9 and 7 at time of travel.
I am thinking self catering in a villa type thing - have found quite a lot at reasonable prices for a week/10 days.
Not too fussy on destination - but would like sun.don't want long drive and ideally would like to fly. BUT would not be able to hire a car at other end (as would need an 8 seater which is either impossible or ridiculously expensive!) so would need somewhere we could get a transfer from airport or taxi at not too great an expense and then importantly need to have everything within walking distance of villa.Ideally somewhere not too busy/built up etc.
Would like to have beach in walking distance plus some cafes/retaurants/bars(not loads just even a couple) and a supermarket/market to buy food)
So...I can still find places that meet these criteria but then cost of flights is £££££.
So where is a good place for cheapish flights? Which airlines to check? Or is it too late for cheap flights for this year?

or is flying not best option? we live in north of England which doesn't help much with ferries though!
was thinking eurotunnel but then wouldnt wnat to drive to south france and not sure about weather in n france hmm
any help much appreciated for someone with no clue!

Costacoffeeplease Sat 03-Jan-15 09:18:38

I declare a vested interest as I liver here, but have you looked at Carvoeiro on the Algarve? It's a small village, lots of choice of restaurants, shops, bars etc, you can get airport transfers from Faro, and as long as you choose the right villa, wouldn't need a car while you're here. If it appeals, I'll happily help look for suitable accommodation. For flights, check skyscanner they will show the cheapest flights from your local airport

Costacoffeeplease Sat 03-Jan-15 09:19:19

I live here - not sure what liver had to do with it - thanks phone!!

DelGirl Sat 03-Jan-15 09:22:40

I would have thought driving would be the best option and possibly the cheapest especially if you can share driving so not have too many overnight stops
Then you'd have a car to go out in. Hth

hyperhops Sat 03-Jan-15 10:31:53

costa - have looked at Carvoeiro - it does look lovely(lucky you living there!). Again it seems possible to find a villa here for a reasonable price but then flights add about another £1-2000 to price sad will do a bit more searching though!
I am thinking we may have to drive and settle for France somewhere. hmm

DelGirl Sat 03-Jan-15 11:25:55

South of France doable if 2 of you driving. I drive about 1200 miles every summer and back again. Not sure how expensive it would be to ferry to northern Spain?

Costacoffeeplease Sat 03-Jan-15 12:06:55

Ok, let me know if it looks a possibility

Good luck!

Costacoffeeplease Sat 03-Jan-15 12:08:22

My husband regularly gets the ferry from Santander/Bilbao, in summer the crossing can be around £1000-1200, it takes 24 hours

DelGirl Sat 03-Jan-15 15:45:45

Wow, expensive shock

Costacoffeeplease Sat 03-Jan-15 15:59:00

Much cheaper in winter, can be as low as £500 but then you have to risk the bay of biscay and it's rolling waves - some trips my husband has spent the whole time flat on his bunk in the cabin with everyone throwing up all around the ship!! Happy days! One bonus is they often get to see whales and dolphins!

iwantgin Thu 08-Jan-15 18:59:36

Mmm - it's going to be pricey however you do it - with 8 of you.

I have been looking around at flights for myself and they do seem ££ as you say.

Our summers recently have always been in France. If you share the driving out it really isn't that bad. We hve to get from West Yorkshire so, like you, an extra few hours just to get to the south coast of England for a ferry.

If you can stand say - 8 hours drive on the other side of the channel - then you can get as far as my favourite region -Poitou Charente. This summer we stayed nearer the coast (La Rochelle), but have previously been more inland. Which is equally lovely - with inland lakes for the watersports/beach, yet much cheaper.

But you need to start booking soon whichever method you chooose. Ferry prices go up quickly - but if you are flexible on dates you can save money. We tend to set off on a Thursday night/early Friday morning - stop off in a hotel en-route to arrive at the holiday house Saturday. So the hotel costs extra, but we get to see a different town each time, and save a lot on the ferry/tunnel.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now