Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Summer holiday, kids 7&5, a week, £1000, ideas?

(15 Posts)
wonderstuff Sat 27-Dec-14 22:06:14

We normally camp, I was thinking Eurocamp maybe, never been before. Don't want to travel too far, was thinking Brittany or Normandy maybe.

I'm quite tempted by Euro Disney, but DH doesn't want to go thinks the kids are too young to appreciate it.

eatyouwithaspoon Sat 27-Dec-14 22:09:05

We have been to Spain and France (brittany) with Euro camp and loved it. Are you near a ferry or will you be flying?

Notsuretoday Sat 27-Dec-14 22:11:38

I think they would love it but that money wont get you a week at Eurodisney.

Look at chalet camping on Brittany Ferries website - same thing as Eurocamp but cheaper. We always go towards the end, prices drop considerably then.

wonderstuff Sat 27-Dec-14 22:11:47

We're fairly near ferry (hants) so will do that I think, flights get so expensive. Tell me about Eurocamp smile

Kahlua4me Sat 27-Dec-14 22:14:28

Do you have your own tent? Fantastic sites in France if you do and excellent prices. ...

PinkyAndTheBump Sat 27-Dec-14 22:15:03

Nielson Holidays?

wonderstuff Sat 27-Dec-14 22:16:00

No I was thinking long weekend at Disney, but I think it'll have to wait a year while I wear DH down, or save furiously for Florida. Will look at chalet camping, nervous about doing last minute.

Kahlua4me Sat 27-Dec-14 22:19:09

Le chant D'Oiseau is fantastic. Has some pitches for own tents and some gites. Great for kids.

Booking towards the end of summer holiday is cheaper as French kids have returned to school.

wonderstuff Sat 27-Dec-14 22:19:33

We have tent, but quite like the idea of travelling a bit lighter if we go to France, we always end up taking so much. Also fancy the idea of actual beds.
Not heard of Neilson.

BrightestAndBest Sat 27-Dec-14 22:34:23

Center Parcs in Netherlands or Belgium? Much cheaper than in the UK. Perfectly doable via ferry (Harwich to Hook of Holland).

www.centerparcs.com/gb-en/holidays-holland_ms

www.centerparcs.com/gb-en/holidays-belgium_ms

Or have a look at Efteling if you want a theme park (they have apartments/lodges in Efteling Bosrijk).

https://m.efteling.com/en/

dreamingofsun Sun 28-Dec-14 17:40:15

eurocamp/keycamp/canvas holidays etc in brittany is a great holiday for a family with kids. think cornwall with better weather and less tat/people. south brittany has best weather - round carnac area is lovely. ukcampsites have independant site reviews. BUT 1k is not going to go very far - our last hol - which was for 2 weeks - and we did splash out - was 3k. so you will need to shop around a bit. we did this sort of holiday for about 10 years. its not necessarily cheaper than an apartment/flight type holiday, but its convenient and brittany is lovely (though weather is generally great it can be not so great)

my husband hates tenting, but was happy to mobile home and appreciated all the facilities on the french sites which are far better than uk ones

dreamingofsun Sun 28-Dec-14 17:42:54

you might find a guite cheaper than mobile home. obviously you won't get the bar/bands/pool etc.

Heels99 Mon 29-Dec-14 12:51:53

Eurocamp is fun and cheap but the weather in northern France can really have a big impact and trying to entertain kids in the rain on ho,I day is no joke. We spent one of our weeks in France wearing fleeces and wellies trying to find things to occupy the kids. The other week the weather was ok, it's very unpredictable exactly like Cornwall as others have said

MaryMotherOfCheeses Mon 29-Dec-14 21:18:45

Does it have to be the summer holidays?

You'll get much more for your money in May half term.

LIZS Mon 29-Dec-14 21:28:01

Pierre et vacances would have accommodation under £1000 for the week. They have a mixture of resorts with facilities and properties on smaller sites, part of centre parcs group. Ferry is usually pretty cheap if booked early or use supermarket vouchers/points for the crossing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now