Talk

Advanced search

Would you book a new hotel that is still being built?

(12 Posts)
ohnoalfie Sat 27-Dec-14 20:22:39

Just wondering if anyone has booked a hotel that is under construction. Holiday I'm looking at would be staying the month it is due to open. Would you steer clear? TIA

AryaUnderfoot Sun 28-Dec-14 12:05:09

If it's through Thomson/First Choice then definitely not.

This year's mess-up with the refurbishment of the Holiday Village in Lanzarote has put me off ever booking a recently (1-2 months) refurbished hotel.

LIZS Sun 28-Dec-14 12:06:08

Probably not. There are sometimes opening offers nearer the time.

DoesntLeftoverTurkeySoupDragOn Sun 28-Dec-14 12:07:06

No. It will not be ready on the date it is due to open, building work never finishes on time.

Chewbecca Sun 28-Dec-14 12:07:40

We booked a brand new villa for our honeymoon, all was well when we got there, and it was about 1/3 of the price it would have been had it been 'established' with reviews etc. It was a bit of a gamble.

Chewbecca Sun 28-Dec-14 12:08:25

Would you book direct with hotel or through tour operator?

ohnoalfie Sun 28-Dec-14 20:35:26

Sorry for late reply, been out with the dc's all day. Thanks for all the replies. You've confirmed what I was thinking. Holiday is with Thomson so booking through them and a pretty good deal (free child place). But guess that's for a reason. Not sure I'd want to deal with the hassle on holiday so think I have a look at something else.

ayra did you still manage to have a holiday? chew pleased to hear your villa worked out well.

Has

AryaUnderfoot Sun 28-Dec-14 20:48:25

ohnoalfie I wasn't actually booked into the Lanzarote Holiday village. However, I was on the facebook group as I was thinking of booking it for 2015 and wanted to get some opinions.

The hotel was due to open in April 2014 (or thereabouts) after a refurbishment. The build overran and some people had their holidays cancelled. However, the revised finish date wasn't going to be met, and some people had their holidays cancelled at about two weeks' notice. These were people who had booked thinking that the refurb was due to finish at least a month before they were due to travel.

People were either offered inferior holidays (3* rather than 4* and no kids clubs) or had to take a refund. By that time there was little or no availability for alternatives and due to Thomson's 'live pricing', would have to pay significantly more to book an equivalent holiday elsewhere if not the ones offered.

The facebook group and FC's facebook page were awash with complaints. Hearing the way that FC dealt with the complaints has put me off booking with them for a newly built/refurbished hotel again.

ohnoalfie Sun 28-Dec-14 22:48:35

Thanks ayra. I was wondering what happens if accommodation isn't ready in time and where you stand. Sounds like it could all add up to a whole load of stress. Will give it a miss. Thanks for all the replies.

Chasmac Sun 28-Dec-14 23:10:08

We did in Egypt. Was amazing smile

noramum Tue 30-Dec-14 18:26:29

I have friends working in hotels in management positions. Both had refurbishments or new builds which always overrun, hers for 18 months. They say it is a huge gamble and they would never think about booking such a hotel for themselves.

feelingfedupandold Sun 04-Jan-15 10:41:32

we did in Egypt too.
it was half full, massively cheaper than the price when it was fully ready.
(the most luxury room for the price of the very cheapest)
also everything new and shiny.
booked in nov, to go in march. was due to open in january (think it over run by a month) so we were nervously checking constantly - but it worked well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now