Talk

Advanced search

Somewhere sunny by a beach but not too hot in August

(18 Posts)
AndHarry Thu 18-Dec-14 14:13:01

Is there such a place? We've holidayed in the UK since having children. My one trip away with toddler DS was a disaster as we were both far too hot to enjoy it but I really want us all to go somewhere with guaranteed sunshine.

wasoncearacergirl Thu 18-Dec-14 16:01:38

what do you consider too hot? you have to head south to get guarantees, ie northern france or northern spain are not guaranteed, and anywhere south is going to be 30 degrees minimum in august, and could be 35 which is quite hot. with shade and a pool and icecream anywhere on the med should be lovely, but busy in august. you cant wait till first week of september?

AndHarry Thu 18-Dec-14 18:25:50

I know, I was just hoping grin DD's nursery is closed in August so we have to take the time off anyway. DS is at school so we have to go in the school holidays. I think maybe we brave UK camping again in August and maybe look for winter sun in the October half term, perhaps Egypt.

AndHarry Thu 18-Dec-14 18:26:17

Hot for me is 30+

LikeABadSethRogenMovie Thu 18-Dec-14 18:29:08

Biarritz is lovely and although hot and sunny, not too hot.

noramum Fri 19-Dec-14 21:44:23

Portugal? Friends went there last year and said it was def. under 30 and they always had a decent breeze to cool down?

I hate the heat so we go Easter next year to St. Lucia and continue withe UK and German holidays in ?August.

specialsubject Sat 20-Dec-14 13:34:25

nowhere has guaranteed sunshine except a desert!

perhaps a mountain resort holiday? Remember to triple the suncream though.

AndHarry Sat 20-Dec-14 13:45:49

It rains in the desert sometimes too wink

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

specialsubject Sat 20-Dec-14 17:24:44

..and you also said 'by a beach' which means my idea of a mountain is non-ideal...blush

happy landings anyway!

elvisola Sat 20-Dec-14 17:27:41

I went to Majorca in August and it was comfortable, in fact quite overcast and rainy on a couple of days. It definitely wasn't too hot by any stretch of the imagination. Egypt in October however would be roasting!

VivaLeBeaver Sat 20-Dec-14 17:29:08

Canary Islands?

AndHarry Sun 21-Dec-14 10:05:32

Beach is to keep the DC occupied but not essential.

I went to Egypt in December a few years ago and it was around 25C, so perfect for me.

I think we're possibly going to go for a UK bucket & spade holiday in August and cross our fingers that it isn't another expensive washout.

AryaUnderfoot Mon 22-Dec-14 10:52:10

Lanzarote?

scaevola Mon 22-Dec-14 10:54:43

Channel Islands?

It can be a bit hit and miss about sunniness, but they're very close, has lovely beaches and plenty to keep children occupied (especially Jersey for small DC)

spinduchess Mon 22-Dec-14 10:58:20

The Vendee in France. Beachy, sunny, but cool in the evenings and there is always a good bit of wind.

Fadingmemory Mon 22-Dec-14 11:00:52

The "breeze" in parts of the Algarve is strong in the evenings and it can be quite chilly (the further west, the stronger the wind).

AndHarry Mon 22-Dec-14 12:55:13

We did Guernsey a few years ago. My abiding memory is cycling up an enormous hill out of St Peter Port in lashing rain shouting at DH to keep going while he was trying to get a me to take a break as he was worried I was overstraining myself (3 months pg with DC1) grin

I have had a look at the Vendee. Looks good. The Algarve is another one to check out.

owlandthehedgehog Thu 01-Jan-15 14:33:32

We went to Galicia in North West Spain a few summers ago. Beaches, playgrounds and temps of 25 degrees. Really good for families!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now