Talk

Advanced search

Moscow

(8 Posts)
flipchart Wed 17-Dec-14 13:47:09

I have the chance to go to Moscow for a week in March. It is a place I do want to go to despite criticisms from people for various reasons.

Can anyone give me any tips and advice. Also details about sorting out a visa etc.

MillyMollyMama Wed 17-Dec-14 18:04:04

You can get a visa by downloading the forms and sending it all off to the embassy plus the fee and your passport. However you need an invitation to go there so it is much easier to use an agency. I can find the name of the one we used if you want. It is very expensive though. From memory about £120.

Why would anyone be against you visiting Moscow? Are you staying with someone there? We were picked up from the airport by the tour company but I would investigate how to get from the airport into Moscow. You will need to see what sights are open and decide what you want to see when you are there. It will be very cold so pack accordingly. Taxis are very expensive so we walked a lot. This could be pretty cold in March. Also, Russian museums and attractions can have strange opening hours so check them out before you go somewhere. The Kremlin and The Armoury Museum should be a must see and the cathedral in Red Square. Gum department store is attractive and the metro stations are works of art, literally. Buy a good travel guide before you go.

We found most Russians helpful, especially young people. English is not widely spoken and some older women are particularly miserable and unsmiling. The rouble is lowering in value every day, so it will go further. Always check if cash is needed before you go anywhere.

MillyMollyMama Wed 17-Dec-14 18:09:27

Contact ASLA for the visa service. They are based in Huntingdon.

Mrsgrumble Wed 17-Dec-14 18:12:15

We we there, visas we sorted ourselves, a pain bit we enjoyed it

Language is a huge barrier - esp metro etc.

Can pm you our hotel etc.

We booked afternoon tea at the ritz, loads to do, boat trips. It's very glam as well as all the history etc.

mswibble Wed 17-Dec-14 18:15:56

We used asked our hotel for our visa support letter (letter of invitation) and emailed it across, no probs. Cost about £16. Do not use the agencies unless you are planning in using air b'n'b type places.
We went for a week in September/Oct and loved it. We were scared witless before we went as we had heard horror stories and expected the worst. Other than their driving (which is appalling) im glad to say we were pleasantly surprised and felt very safe, even when wandering around at night.

mswibble Wed 17-Dec-14 18:19:43

We stayed at Hotel Budapest which I would thoroughly recommend - though ask for a room at the back as the ones at the front are a little noisy. It was within 10mins walk of three metro stops on three different lined and only 10mins to Red Sq.

lem73 Wed 17-Dec-14 18:24:55

Go! Dh has been there 3 times for work and loved it. It will still have quite cold in March though. The visa is a PITA though. His recently expired and he's been told he needs to go in person to apply to renew but perhaps that's because it's a business visa.

flipchart Wed 17-Dec-14 18:54:59

MillyMolly

I nearly went to Moscow about two years ago and I posted for advice and I got a lot of negative reactions. People suggesting that I went somewhere else because of the appalling human rights and homophopic attitudes and so on. As it happened I went somewhere else, but Moscow has always been in the back of my mind to go.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now