Talk

Advanced search

Holiday with baby

(14 Posts)
Due2015 Mon 15-Dec-14 13:25:02

Hi I'm looking to book a holiday next year for September or October time. It will be for me my partner and ds (who will be around 8 months) does anyone have any suggestions of where to go? I'm thinking the canaries as I'd like it to be hot but not too hot for the baby.
Also if anyone can offer advice on whether to go all inclusive or self catering? We normally go all in but think self catering may be easier with a baby? As it's our first time any help would be appreciated
Thanks

wasoncearacergirl Wed 17-Dec-14 12:16:58

nice easy one to answer! take a look at the mumsnet travel review pages,
www.mumsnet.com/reviews/travel/hotels-in-europe
the top one is and prob always has been Caserio del Mirador in spain. We went with first baby, went to canaries the next year and regretted it and returned last year with baby2 and its just bliss... think beyond AI/SC this place does a bit of both and its just perfect. read the reviews, you'll get the picture. oh and Sarah who runs it is really chilled about you bagging your slot and not putting down a deposit until baby arrives safely, just because she knows that us first time mums are a bit squiffy like that..

Pengyquin Wed 17-Dec-14 12:19:57

You do know a holiday with a baby is not a holiday? grin

You'll need a holiday to recover afterwards.

TerrysNo3 Wed 17-Dec-14 12:39:54

Also second Mirador - totally awesome holiday and it was relaxing.

zippytots Wed 17-Dec-14 12:43:26

Caserio-Del-Mirador is the place to stay. It's a beautiful house with self-catering apartments nestled into a mountain with stunning views across a valley towards the sea.

The Robinsons are the perfect hosts and have kids of their own so understand exactly how to ensure your holiday is as relaxing as possible with a little one.

On days when we explored the area they helped us find the best places to eat, the tourist attractions and beaches meaning we were able to plan our time well which all helped to make the holiday as relaxing as possible.

Our little boy was around 18 months at the time and there was plenty to keep him amused, play park, animals, swimming pool, other kids and a nice selection of toys.

Sarah is an amazing cook so most evenings we just chilled, enjoyed some delicious food, wonderful wine and the company of fellow guests.

Hope this helps you smile

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Caserio-Del-Mirador/331794826860583?fref=nf

IAmAPaleontologist Wed 17-Dec-14 12:50:15

A holiday with a baby is childcare in a different setting without most of the things that make childcare easier for you.

Not to be negative. just something to think about.

So choose somewhere that will be relaxing and flexible for you. If going for a resort type then look carefully at the pool areas and splash pools for kids to make sure there is shade. Beaches check provision of things like parasols. Make sure there is interesting stuff to potter round for you because babies don't tend to take kindly to sitting on the beach for all that long while you read a book.

You want separate rooms or at the very least a room to share plus a living room even if catered because otherwise, while people talk fondly of meals late at night with a baby snoozing in the buggy, sods law you'll be the one with a screaming child so make sure you have the facilities to out baby ot bed and chill out together, you don't want to spend a holiday cramped in a family hotel room with nothing to do but balance on the loo seat and read in the bathroom after baby has gone to bed!

We love self catering, we book holiday lets through somewhere like owners direct in nice little villages or towns and potter around the area, put kids to bed and then relax together.

Due2015 Wed 17-Dec-14 16:10:54

Thanks I have already booked no but will consider there for next time.
I appreciate it will be hard work but we love holidays so want to still have this experience
Does anyone have any tips of what to take etc.. And bottle feeding

wasoncearacergirl Wed 17-Dec-14 16:32:51

so where are you going? re bottle feeding/sterlising/formula that all depends on where you are going. mothercare do sterlising bags or just take milton tablets but practice a few times first so you dont get in a tizz about it being different to your normal way.

Artandco Wed 17-Dec-14 16:41:59

We had a lovely time in Oman in October when ds's were that age. Beach, child friendly, warm, spacious accomadation, sightseeing. Ds2 was 8 months when he famously ate his weight in houmous, pitta bread and watermelon!

Artandco Wed 17-Dec-14 16:43:03

Oh and we always eat in restaurants, at 8months they can snack on what you have and sleep in pram

TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams Wed 17-Dec-14 16:57:42

Look for low sodium water to make up bottle feeds. It had a baby symbol on it when I was in the Canaries, in late October with a 3 month old. Nightmare - 40 degrees and too hot to take her outside at all until 8pm. Sooo bored.

Look for low allergy sun cream, banana boat is a children's brand.

Artandco Wed 17-Dec-14 17:36:38

Tbh by 8/9 months they aren't on milk all day so you can just take some pre made cartons for ease as can then just open up wherever you are. They can eat any food so just offer various things and water throughout the day

mumofthemonsters808 Wed 17-Dec-14 17:50:13

I've always taken mine abroad since they were little. I think the younger they are the easier they are to handle. Ds was a dream at 6 weeks he just slept in the shade, woke up fed and back to sleep. I think the real fun starts when they are toddling.We have always gone somewhere with a short flight, usually Majorca or Portugal. The most important item I would not have been without is a mosquito net for when baby is asleep in the trolley and you are out and about in the evening.

Due2015 Thu 18-Dec-14 08:30:37

Thanks for all the advice we are going to fuerteventura. I have booked accommodation round the pool with a nice terrace so if he is asleep we can still sit out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now