Talk

Advanced search

Istanbul - mini break?

(17 Posts)
NoelleHawthorne Sun 07-Dec-14 21:46:39

Has anyone done this - maybe in a group of women? I love Turkey and Turkish food....

Flingingmelon Sun 07-Dec-14 21:50:20

I travel to Istanbul loads, it's a fantastic city for all sorts of reasons. Depends on what you are looking for but assuming a bit of culture, some great food and shopping, it's ace.

However there is one downside, the traffic is atrocious, plan accordingly.

Enjoy grin

NoelleHawthorne Sun 07-Dec-14 22:13:07

where would you stay?

BB01 Mon 08-Dec-14 18:33:28

Istanbul is fabulous, one of my favourite cities. Even preferred it to Barcelona! Absolutely amazing food everywhere, lovely people, beautiful architecture and views of the Bosphorus, lots to see and do. Parts of it feel as though it is much further away than it is, very exotic. Love it!

BB01 Mon 08-Dec-14 18:34:30

I stayed in Sultanhamet which is the touristy bit but I loved it. Very atmospheric and gorgeous restaurants with outdoors seating

NoelleHawthorne Mon 08-Dec-14 18:36:05

oh ta! Can't wait - do you know any hotel names?

BumWad Mon 08-Dec-14 18:37:45

Istanbul is lovely. I went for a short break, we stayed in a gorgeous hotel in the sultanhamet region. There is lots to do, a ride along the Bosphorous, the mosques, the whirling dervishes, markets and the food is lush! I can't wait to go back. smile

MakeMeWarmThisWinter Mon 08-Dec-14 18:52:53

Went there recently for a 5-day child free jaunt with DH - perfect. We stayed here which was ideal location, basically on a road full of bars and restaurants - Mesrutiyet Caddesi (I think Caddesi is Road) - lots of rooftop bars and seems to be where locals hang out rather than tourists. Lots of little tapas and beer type places, our main reason for going was Turkish food and we stuffed ourselves silly of those yummy Turkish pizzas and mixed kebabs , in fact we didn't want meat for a while when we got back grin head out at 10pm for dinner, that kind of thing. End up at a rooftop bar where you only need to order one drink of that clear spirit that turns white when you add water before staggering back to the hotel.

Galata I think is the name of the area, but that's the road you want to be on / near for evenings - the trams are easy to use to get to Sultanahmet where all the touristy stuff is and it's mobbed round there, plenty of hotels there but I think it was much better to stay in Galata.

It's not Majorca in terms of being tourist-friendly really, it feels like a very far-off land - but it's fun for an adventure. Highly recommend the Palace, everyone does the big mosques (which you should too) but the Palace was so evocative of big fat Sultans surrounded by his harem of wives, it was fascinating and beautiful.

MakeMeWarmThisWinter Mon 08-Dec-14 18:59:16

Actually the area might be called Beyoglu rather than Galeta, googling where we were.

starfishmummy Mon 08-Dec-14 19:00:42

We did a short break and it was great. The first night we went out for a meal.and ended up in a cafe used by locals. They had lots of dishes on the hotplate and just bought us a loaded plate.with a bit of everything. A bread basket that was constantly refilled and a couple of beers. I think it was under a tenner for both of us!! Fhe next night we found the touristy bit. Fold was just as good bit not so cheap!

MakeMeWarmThisWinter Mon 08-Dec-14 19:02:36

Actually please stay here - same area as we were in, same road I was on about - it's a really swanky hotel - it has one of the best restaurants in Istanbul with the best view - Mikla, on the roof. We went for a fab meal there.

MoniDubai Wed 10-Dec-14 09:39:23

Agree, Istanbul is fab, but traffic really bad, we stayed in Nisantasi, kind of posh end of Istanbul but explored the Galata are quite a bit, gorgeous French boutique hotel there called Georges with a roof top terrace, great for long lunch with wine etc. Also went to Bodrum, short flight away, LOVED the Mandarin Oriental and the most groovey place I have stayed in The Macakisi hotel, perfect for partying! Bit pricey but we loved it and would go back. Here is what we did this summer in Turkey with the details, planned very carefully and had a really good time! The family was so skeptical about my choices but ended up being one of our best holidays. We went from Dubai so same distance away from us as it would be from London I think.

doindubai.com/travelling/culture-vulture/trip-to-turkey

NoelleHawthorne Wed 10-Dec-14 22:32:25

Don't think we an afford swank

BB01 Fri 12-Dec-14 15:24:44

We stayed at the Kaftan Hotel in Sultanhamet. Not at all swanky but was lovely

mrsnec Fri 12-Dec-14 15:31:09

We stayed at the peninsula in Sultanhamet. It's very basic but comfortable and is walking distance to Topkapi, Hagia Sofia and the Blue Mosque amongst other attractions and has excellent restaurants nearby as well as great shops.

SooticaTheWitchesCat Thu 01-Jan-15 15:08:10

I love Istanbul, I have stayed there a few times both in Sultanahmet and Taksim, which is where the main shops and bars are. There is so much to see there and the food is amazing.

I'm sure you will love it.

motheroftwoboys Thu 01-Jan-15 19:58:41

We visited Istanbul last year and loved it. We stayed at a fairly mediocre hotel The Romance but over the road was www.orientexpresshotel.com/ where we ate and would certainly recommend it. Sirkecki was the perfect base as you can walk up to the main sights and down to the river. The tram runs along the street.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now