Talk

Advanced search

Paris-where to stay?

(9 Posts)
BuntingintheSunshine Sun 23-Nov-14 08:45:55

We're planning a short break in Paris in early June next year (the week after UK half term hols). About 3 nights, travelling on eurostar. I'm hoping Airbnb will come up trumps with somewhere affordable, we are a family of 3, DS will be 12 and is (currently at least!) a quiet chap who I think will be after a trot around the usual suspects (Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame, bateaux mouches, sciencey places, Pompidou Centre) plus eating croissants and frites.
Can someone help me what areas we should be looking at (or avoiding) for accommodation?
Thanks!

dreamingofsun Sun 23-Nov-14 08:51:16

we stayed near the paul metro....think i have the correct name. it worked for us, as not too far from the seine - so could jump on one of the batteau boats (again name prob wrong) and see all the sites. There were a decent amount of restaurants in the area but it wasn't madly noisy. basically, most of the sites are around the seine, so i would suggest somewhere pretty near that

alteredimages Sun 23-Nov-14 08:58:43

Hello BuntingintheSunshine

I used to live in Paris (Just left in June. Sob.) and would heartily recommend the 4th arrondissement, especially around the Place des Vosges for beautiful architecture and an easy walk to different museums. The excellent and free Musee de Carnavelet is there, as are good ice cream shops and nice places to eat and (rather expensive but lovely) shops. Bastille is also v trendy and good for transport to everywhere. I would avoid champs elysees and near the eiffel tower because the champs elysees, at least to me, is very dull and overpriced and the eiffel tower is good for a visit but the area is dead at night.

The 5th around saint michel is nice but v touristy and there are some good hotels around chatelet and rambuteau too, which would be my second choice after the 4th arrondisement.

I love the 20th, just where it meets the 11th between place de la nation and pere lachaise but I am biased because that is where I used to live. grin

alteredimages Sun 23-Nov-14 09:03:17

dreamingofsun x post. smile So that is two recommendations for the 4th. We win and you have to take us with you. grin

Joking aside, I was just coming back to mention that a lot of hotels claiming to be in montmartre are nowhere near and are actually in quite dodgy areas on the périphérique, so do check the hotel location on google maps before you book. HTH.

Spinaroo Sun 23-Nov-14 09:11:13

Agree-Steer clear of Montmartre as you could actually end up in a more unpleasant area. I think the 4th is nice but I would second the St. Michel area as it is near the quartier Latin for lots if restaurant choices and the beautiful Luxembourg gardens, as well as being near to the river and with good metro links. Enjoy!

BuntingintheSunshine Sun 23-Nov-14 12:41:51

Thanks for the ideas, just looking on airbnb at 4th and 5th arrondisement, the apartments are amazing, I don't know where to start... I will doubtless be back for some more advice.

bottersnikes Mon 24-Nov-14 12:01:17

On the hunt for a Paris apartment too for 5 of us; I've found some lovely ones in the 10th arrondissement. Does anyone know what that's like? The choice for our dates in the 4th and 5th are too expensive!

alteredimages Tue 25-Nov-14 07:40:37

Hi bottersnikes,

The 10th is very variable, there are some ok parts and some really not ok parts. The same goes for the 9th. If you need to look for somewhere cheaper, have you considered the 20th near pere lachaise or the 11 around bastille and 12th around place de la nation? These have really good transport links to the centre and are nicer than the 10th. Just make sure the hotel is close to the metro.

BuntingintheSunshine Sat 31-Jan-15 11:19:52

Ok, now I'm looking in earnest. Any thoughts on these : AirBnB Marais or this one Marais Rue Jean-Beausire or this Bastille Central?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: