Talk

Advanced search

Portugal in August '15

(11 Posts)
runner2 Wed 05-Nov-14 18:35:22

We've never been to Portugal, don't know it at all, but looking for a relatively cheap (tho not nasty!) and cheerful week-long hol next August, ideally not too far from an airport and we don't like big-scale, high-rise hotels! Can anyone recommend anywhere?

speechiesusie Fri 07-Nov-14 17:10:06

Carveoiro is supposed to be nice. We stayed at Lagos and that was great. The marina are there is good. Our kids were 4/8 at the time and loved it. We rented an apartment through Owners Direct (two bed with garden and access to a pool) and it was a bout £750 p/w in August.

Onykahonie Sun 16-Nov-14 19:16:24

Alvor is nice too.

budgiegirl Sun 16-Nov-14 23:35:29

I'd second Cavoeiro, it's a pretty, fairly unspoilt resort, no high rises! We stayed in quinto do Paraiso, which was a complex of individual villas with a big shared pool, kids club, bar etc, Walking distance from shops and restaurants

Costacoffeeplease Thu 29-Jan-15 10:48:43

Third vote for Carvoeiro, but I'm biased, I live here! Happy to answer any questions!

AvonCallingBarksdale Fri 30-Jan-15 14:33:33

Lagos, Luz both fab.

Bowlersarm Fri 30-Jan-15 14:35:53

Fourth vote for Carvoeiro.

Missymoo99 Fri 30-Jan-15 14:48:24

Carvoiero for us too, heading there for our 9th year this August, and I said I'd never go to the same place twice!! But it's perfect for kids and they love it too (3 and 8 years) x

Costacoffeeplease Fri 30-Jan-15 15:19:40

We had never been back to the same place twice either missy our first visit was in 1988, we bought an apartment in 2000 and moved over permanently in 2003!

naffedoff Mon 02-Feb-15 15:57:10

We bought in Carvoeiro (Quinta do Paraiso as mentioned above) in 2007 after having visited first in 2005. It's great for kids - and we never liked going to the same place twice either.

PurpleAlert Wed 18-Feb-15 00:15:29

Portugal is lovely! Started going there in 2002. After 8 years of hiring villas we decided to buy and now have a place in Luz- lovely beach, loads of restaurants but still retains a villagy feel. Lovely main beach(quite busy in August) with choice of sand or sitting on the rocks but also lots of other lovely beaches around to visit (Salema, Zavial, and Port do Mos and Mia Praia in Lagos are our favourites).

Lovely walks along the cliffs west towards Burgau or East towards Lagos. Lots of water sports on the beach and lots of opportunities for excursions from Lagos Marina (6 km away)

Great water parks nearby (we like Slide and Splash) and Zoo Marine is also great fun.

You don't have to have a car but it's nice to have the option to explore.

Hot but not blisteringly so in August and cooler at night (we don't have air con and don't feel we need it.)

Love it!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: