Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Greece 2-3 hours drive from athens

(8 Posts)
AmbrosiaCeleste Tue 04-Nov-14 11:58:46

I've found cheap flight to Athens and we are thinking of combining a couple of days there with a week on the beach somewhere not too far away. Does anyone know anywhere nice max 2-3 hours drive from Athens? It will be the beginning of July so probably busy but somewhere not too madly touristy would be lovely.
Thanks to anyone who can help.

katandkits Tue 04-Nov-14 15:39:24

Many years ago i went to a place called Tolon, near Napflion on the Peloponnese. It was not too busy and plenty of historical stuff to visit nearby, beach was nice for swimming, it was about three hours from Athens

FixItUpChappie Tue 04-Nov-14 16:00:34

Napilo is lovely and a good base. Monemvasia is a lovely day-trip, as is Mystras just outside Sparta. Aeropolis is also a nice base...it might be close enough by car (I took the bus).

specialsubject Tue 04-Nov-14 16:09:54

if you don't have to drive, get the boat to Spetses which is 2 hours from Piraeus and will tick the beach and little cobbled streets boxes.

FixItUpChappie Tue 04-Nov-14 16:34:21

Okay, I reread your op - Aeropolis is not a good pick if you want to be ON the beach (though you could easily day trip to the beach). Nafplio has a all beach but it's not really a beach vacation spot. therefore I would second the idea of one of the Saronic islands.

LouiseBrooks Tue 04-Nov-14 16:44:36

I've been to Tolon too, wouldn't go back but it's a nice enough little resort with a beach. Nafplio is stunningly pretty and a fabulous place to mooch about for a couple of days.

Spetses is lovely, Aegina is supposed to be nice and Hydra is gorgeous but not beachy (and very, very expensive.) All are islans easily accessible from Athens by boat.

Or what about the Athenian Riveria? visitgreece.gr/en/main_cities/athens_riviera

Or Sounion?

AmbrosiaCeleste Tue 04-Nov-14 20:33:07

Thanks for your help everyone. I don't know Greece at all so will start looking at all these places and see what I can find.

LouiseBrooks Tue 04-Nov-14 20:55:11

Ambrosia it's a beautiful country with wonderful people and I'm sure wherever you go, you'll have a great time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now