Talk

Advanced search

German Christmas Markets

(6 Posts)
blondiewoowoo1 Mon 27-Oct-14 16:21:18

Hi all

I quite fancy the idea of going to the German Christmas Markets with DH and DS aged 3. Just an overnight (ideally morning going out/afternoom or tea time coming back)
and wondered if anyone had any advice on which one to go for as there seems be quite a few in different cities.

JeanSeberg Tue 28-Oct-14 12:54:37

Where would you be flying from in the UK?

Munich, Dresden, Cologne, Berlin, Düsseldorf... although my favourite is Salzburg (Austria I know!).

AngelsWithSilverWings Sun 02-Nov-14 14:05:25

We've just got back from Berlin where they were setting up the Christmas market outside the Sony Center in Potsdamer Platz. It looked great and my kids were gutted that they were leaving before it opened.

There is a Lggo discovery centre just next to it too which take about two hours to do and great for very young children.

The Sony Centre has lots of cafés and restaurants where you can sit outside snuggled under blankets or inside looking out over the central dome area.

Also many Berlin hotels are very family friendly ( we had a family suite in a hotel with a pool and spa for around £150 per night)

financialwizard Sun 02-Nov-14 14:07:28

Cologne Christmas Market is awesome and the Flandrischer Hof is a good place to stay.

CMOTDibbler Sun 02-Nov-14 14:08:14

I'm planning on going to Cologne with ds

MrsNutella Sun 02-Nov-14 14:18:15

Ooohhhh Nuremberg! It's beautiful! The town is beautiful, the history is fascinating and its a small town too so you'll never be far away from the market.

Christmas markets generally get going around the last weekend of November.

I liked it in Nuremberg when it was cold and snowy, it seemed so much more romantic. smile
To be fair I haven't tried many others. But I think if you want to visit somewhere and a see a little more than just a market then it's my recommendation.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now