Talk

Advanced search

Europe with 22mth old twins

(16 Posts)
Cornwall73 Fri 10-Oct-14 11:56:17

Hi all, looking to book a family holiday in Europe in May 2015. We have very lively B/G twins who will be 22mths and ideally would like somewhere which provides some level of childcare so we can get a bit of a break as well as spend time as a family.

Pre kids we would have run a mile from resorts as we are quite adventurous and well travelled but now acknowledge that with toddler twins we will need some help so we can get some rest too!

Hiring out a place and taking family to help out is not an option.

I have done a couple of searches and have come up with:
Scott Dunn
Country-Kids in France
Kinderhotels
Sani Resort in Greece

Any I have missed?
Have any of you been to the above with under twos and what did you think?

Artandco Fri 10-Oct-14 12:04:18

Does it have to be Europe?

We took ds1 19 months and ds2 8 weeks to Vietnam for 2 months and it was wonderful. Very child orientated and everyone friendly. We stayed in various hotels and didn't use childcare, but most offered a nanny service at a reasonable price

Otherwise we go to Austria often. Again hotel, and use a nanny provided at hotel for some evenings or in the day. Can choose as much or little as you like

Personally I would look for a small hotel (20-25 rooms max). They are more personalised and easier for them to provide what you want when you need it. They are also more family friendly as usually have much bigger rooms as squeezing in less and can often ask them to source and provide anything you need before arrival ie many small ones we have been to for a fee ie £25 provide a basket full of toys/ books/ children's bath soap/ sun shade etc. And another with nappies of size required/ wipes/ suncream etc.

Cornwall73 Fri 10-Oct-14 12:16:15

Hi, we would prefer Europe as flights with these two are not impossible but hard. We recently took them to Gibraltar for a short break to visit family and it was challenging. DH said it was like struggling with an octopus for two hours!

I would love to go somewhere such as Vietnam but know my limitations with toddler twins. They are little dynamos when they are not asleep and I think they would really enjoy somewhere with 'activities' or a play area when we need it and we can enjoy a meal or a walk on our own.

I think long haul is certainly an option when they are a bit older and they can enjoy looking at stuff.

Artandco Fri 10-Oct-14 12:20:06

The thing you will have to look for is many won't take child under 3 into the group childcare settings. So def need one that accomadates younger, these def increase the cost, hence nanny often cheaper

Il try and link to a place in Greece we go to ( mine now 3 and 4)

evertonmint Fri 10-Oct-14 12:21:26

We just stayed at Pine Cliffs in Portugal with Scott Dunn. Like you, we're well travelled and resorts aren't our usual thing but with a 6yo, 3yo and 8wo we wanted easy. The Scott Dunn kids club was fantastic.

We also love Periyali Villas in Zakynthos with Simpson Travel. The kids club there is great - our DD was 23mo when we went and did loads of great activities. 3 hours a day for 4 days in the week plus evening kids club one night which they loved (they go in pyjamas and have hot choc, a film and get into bed while you get a night out smile

We have done more exotic travelling trips with them but these have been by far our most relaxing holidays!

Artandco Fri 10-Oct-14 13:09:37

It's the daios cove resort in Crete. They have 2 bed villas to rent as well as regular rooms and suites so plenty of space. Offer childcare from 3 months, we didn't use but people seemed pleased with it

Heels99 Sun 12-Oct-14 19:15:59

Neilsons are fab for childcare from three months, they have the two year olds out on boats, kayaks, doing tennis, yoga, swimming etc. kids tea time every day and the nannies will give your child lunch and dinner, evening care a few nights per week. and loads of activities for parents but accommodation is not luxury if that is what you are looking for. Always had a brilliant time on those hols.

Heels99 Sun 12-Oct-14 19:16:52

Just to add, I do have tWins and took them To neilsons age 2-4. Now they are older we go on more exotic hols but had some fab times with neilsons.

Heels99 Sun 12-Oct-14 19:18:14

Op you may have a big budget but of not then country kids and Scott Dunn prices may make your eyes water. Country kids I am sure is lovely but at the end of the day for a holiday in France the prices are crazy

Cornwall73 Mon 13-Oct-14 16:34:43

Thank you, they both sound perfect and exactly what we want but it does make your eyes water price-wise! What was going to be a two week holiday would soon become one week and then have to add flights/car etc.

Imperial Tue 14-Oct-14 17:48:35

A friend of mine decided it was cheaper to take a temporary Nanny with her. She hired her for 3 days before they left so that she could pack in peace and by the time they left the children were comfortable enough with her that she was able to really help on the plane. Just a thought.

sergeantmajor Mon 20-Oct-14 13:14:15

On the Tots Too website you can search by places that have childcare for under 3s or they have hotels where you can book a local nanny when you get there. Basically it's not much of a holiday otherwise!

wearymum200 Fri 31-Oct-14 20:20:43

Familotel chain in Germany/ Austria similar to but but cheaper than kinder hotels. Also independent hotels may have childcare, tho age from which they take booking varies

HappyAsASandboy Fri 31-Oct-14 20:28:41

I don't know what your budget is, but any of the Thomson Sensatori hotels would be perfect. We went when our twins were 11 mo, 18mo and 23mo (while they were free!).

Childcare without parent supervision is extra for under threes, but the nursery is lovely and they use uk childcarers and ratios. Or they have parent and child sessions you can take the kids along to yourself which are free.

After age three there are free sessions where they stay without parents, and even 'sleepover' nights where they all get in little beds, watch a movie with hot chocolate and biscuits etc, and parents can have their dinner alone. You then collect at 11pm ish and take child back to room with you (I think, mine weren't old enough!).

WhatWouldCaitlinDo Fri 31-Oct-14 20:28:49

We went to Martinhal and booked through Baby Friendly Boltholes who have loads of places. Martinhal was perfect.

sleepdodger Sun 02-Nov-14 00:58:41

Holiday village or sani resorts
Cheesy organised fun hell- actually it wasn't!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now