Talk

Advanced search

Holiday ideas for the impossible family!!

(12 Posts)
Pinkpeanut27 Mon 29-Sep-14 11:30:47

I am really struggling for holiday ideas.
I have 11 yr old twin b/g and a 4 yr old son

I know the kids need to be grateful for any holiday! However nobody likes the same thing
Dh likes it hot but not too hot ( mid 30's was too hot)
Dd likes it hot
Ds1 hates the heat

One son and my dd love beachcombing
The boys need to be doing something 14hours a day

We have tried villa with private pool in menorcca with grandparents but boys got bored and grandparents nearly pushed me over the edge!

Small apartment complex in Italian lakes too hot and boring for the boys ,3 of us loved it though!

Week self catering in swanage. This was fab as we had the weather were out and about every day

Small villa complex on the Costa del sol .. Lots to do but too hot to do it.

It is driving me mad , I think we are trying to give them the perfect holiday based on our perfect holiday. Tbh I would be happy with a bit of sun and happy kids!!

dh refuses to stay in this country as we can't predict the weather.

What do you suggest?

Explored Mon 29-Sep-14 11:48:13

We went on an Explore activity holiday last year. First time we've done anything like that and it was brilliant. The one we did isn't being run this year but the itineraries typically include a good mix of seeing and learning about the local area, activities like water sports, mountain biking, rock climbing and time on the beach/by the pool.

I can't solve the heat issue either. I like it hot but not too hot, but TBH good weather in UK in August is too hot, so I suppose anywhere in Europe is going to be too?

In the past I've tried to solve it by being in/near water or in the mountains but wherever you go, mountain weather isn't reliable.

ChickenFajitaAndNachos Tue 30-Sep-14 12:53:34

Perhaps a Brittany family campsite (staying in a caravan/chalet) with lots of activities and also good for days out.
A cruise to Norway on a family friendly ship.

secretsquirrels Tue 30-Sep-14 13:03:51

Hmm. Heat can feel different depending on humidity. UK August heat is often unpleasant to me but I can stand dry Mediterranean heat any day.

So you need it warm but not scorching and lots to do for the boys. A private villa or apartment is never going to work. I'd go for a big AI resort type hotel. Those who want to chill can do so and those who want action can join in with all that's on offer.
How about the Canaries? All of them have similar climates but Fuertaventura in particular. is very windy, which takes the edge of the heat. Plus it never gets as hot as the Med anyway.

foxdongle Tue 30-Sep-14 13:45:47

I second a cruise. Our DC love them. Something different everyday and no boredom.

Jersey is lovely too. Lots of castles, beaches, Gerald Durrell zoo, shell garden etc to do. We stayed at the Merton Hotel which has indoor and outdoor pools, slides, surf simulator and the food was great when we went. It was hot both times that we went in August -mid 20's

Pinkpeanut27 Fri 03-Oct-14 09:33:02

Cruise sounds interesting , I always struggle with hotels as they don't cater for 5 very often, canaries I didn't think of as I thought it would be hotter but apparently not.northern France is too iffy with the weather we tried it before and were lucky but it rained the day we arrived and the day we left the site reps said ourscwas the only dry week they had had!

dinkystinky Fri 03-Oct-14 09:36:00

Corsica - you have beaches and mountains and if the weather is good is really lovely.

Go AI in a hotel with a kids club which can keep your boys happy and let you chill.

ladydeedy Tue 21-Oct-14 13:58:25

Have you thought about an "active" holiday like Neilson's beach clubs? We went on one this year for the first time and it was ideal - perfect for everyone in our group and you can do as much or as little as you like. Most meals are included but you get three nights "off" a week where you can go out and eat in local village if you like or eat in the resort. Great kids clubs and a fantastic warm atmosphere and super staff! It is a bit pricey but we learnt (to our cost!) that prices drop nearer the time of departure if that helps at all. Couldnt recommend highly enough and we are looking forward to another trip next year.

Heels99 Thu 23-Oct-14 16:44:10

I too think Neilsons would be ideal for you and you could go in spring for warm but not roasting weather. Ds 1 can spend all day in the water so won't notice the heat.

LapinDeBois Mon 03-Nov-14 07:06:39

How about the Dordogne? We had a wonderful time there this year. Weather generally warm but not unbearable, and a huge variety of activities: canoeing, houses/gardens to visit, castles, nice towns, prehistoric caves, Go Ape places etc. Plus lovely food. Obviously it doesn't have any coast, but there are loads of river beaches that we found more interesting, and actually we found a lake with a sandy beach as well. We were lucky enough to have a villa with a pool, but to be honest we were out so much that we didn't use it that much!

defineme Mon 03-Nov-14 07:17:32

We are a family of 5 and have always found hotels with 1 or 2 bed apartments fine. We generally go with Thomas Cook somewhere with kids clubs and waterslides- clubs usually have indoor air con bit if kids too hot, hotel always near the beach. We self cater as I like to eat at different places, but ai was nice too. I would go back to Menorca to a place like that if I were you, as it doesn't sound as if you want as much activity as the kids.

Bunbaker Mon 03-Nov-14 07:22:52

South West France, North West Spain, the Azores?

Nicer weather than here, but not scorchio.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now