Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Must see in Barcelona with a 6 year old?

(16 Posts)
TheDayOfMyDoctor Fri 20-Jun-14 13:05:05

We're going to Barcelona in the summer - looks like there's plenty to do with DS (6), but wondered if anyone had any recommendations for 'must see' places to visit? Also, if there's anywhere not worth bothering about?

tIA

TheDayOfMyDoctor Fri 20-Jun-14 21:18:49

Bump!

PortofinoRevisited Sat 21-Jun-14 12:30:46

Parc Guell, the Gaudi buildings, the zoo, the cable car over the harbour, the aquarium.

the Boqueria market on the Ramblas is fabulous. The beach and the Olympic Port with lots of restaurants etc. Funfair at Mt Tibidabo.

TheDayOfMyDoctor Sun 22-Jun-14 11:01:30

Thanks Portofino. I found info on the funfair a bit confusing last time I looked at their website. There seems to be two different prices giving different access. Is it worth paying for the full ticket?

juneau Sun 22-Jun-14 11:07:00

Museu Maritim?
The beach at Barceloneta?
Montjuic?

There are masses of things to do with a 6-year-old.

This Barcelona guide for families is only £1.88 on Amazon: www.amazon.co.uk/Barcelona-Families-Travel-Federica-Garuti-ebook/dp/B00E9GABEG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1403431554&sr=8-1&keywords=family+guide+barcelona

TheDayOfMyDoctor Mon 23-Jun-14 13:13:03

Thanks Juneau, I'll have a look at that. Yes, there seems to be loads to do, but was just wondering if anyone had any 'must see/do' recommendations based on their own experience of visiting with similar age DC.

Suttonmum1 Tue 24-Jun-14 22:01:42

caixa forum science museum. website is in spanish If I remember but the place is quite new, big, really interactive, has a small rainforest inside, everything annotated in english. it is about 5Euros for adults and free for kids.
it is like the science museum and the natural history put together but loads of experimental stuff to do.
lunch there is a fixed price buffet

Suttonmum1 Tue 24-Jun-14 22:04:13

By the way the queue for the cable car from barceloneta to montjuic was a couple of hours by 10.30 when we were there in April.

Spherical Tue 24-Jun-14 22:05:10

Magic fountains - they are free!

TheDayOfMyDoctor Tue 24-Jun-14 22:12:39

That's useful to know Suttonmum - was it the q to get tickets or just getting on it? Was the science museum easy to find - I've seen a few comments re: it being out of the way/long walk from bus etc.

Magic fountain definitely on the list!

Is the Barcelona card worth getting? I thought we would maybe get a two-day bus tour ticket and buy a few vouchers for discounted entry for some things online, but not sure if the Barcelona card might be a better deal.

Suttonmum1 Wed 02-Jul-14 00:16:43

it was just one queue at the cable cars. Science museum was a bit far but definitely worth it. we walked up from Av. Tibidabo station, can't remember if we got to that point by train or bus. However taxis are cheap in Barcelona too. They have a full blown 3 course buffet lunch in the restaurant there, including a kids version. Also have remembered they have a 3d planetarium for about 5 euros extra, with multi language headphones.

DadDadDad Sat 05-Jul-14 21:50:35

Heading to Barcelona this week and my research threw up this site which looks helpful www.kidsinbarcelona.com/

TheDayOfMyDoctor Sun 06-Jul-14 06:52:34

Thanks for the posts.

DS particularly enjoyed the font magica, amusement park at Tibidabo (great day out) and a trip to camp nou. We also went on a kids tour of barri gotic - totally recommended. It's run by a company called runner bean tours. The website also has a blog with things to do with kids.

Also, if you read this DadDadDad, there's usually events on outside the cathedral on a statue day night at 7.30 where you can see the giants in action.

We opted for the cable car from park montjuic (teleferic de montjuic) to the castle - no queues.

fands123 Wed 11-May-16 12:42:29

I was recently in Barcelona with my family and managed to cover a lot of sightseeing–must see places are on my vlog www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyDhaVNzXYw all the details are in the description box-hope this helps! x

Mablethorpe Wed 11-May-16 13:27:54

Unless your child is completely bonkers about football, avoid Camp Nou. It's pricey and in my opinion not worth the cash. Aside from seeing the pitch itself (which is pretty amazing) there's not much on display that will really be of interest to smaller children. My DS is 8 and we just about got away with it but I wouldn't bother going back.

dinkystinky Tue 21-Jun-16 15:20:56

We went to Barcelona over half term - huge hits were Tibidabo (expensive but you could spend a whole day there - can get tram or bus up), Barceloneta beach plus aquarium, Parc Guell and Sagrada Familia, Boqueria food market and the cable cars.

Didn't get a Barcelona card as we weren't hitting many museums. Worth booking online in advance for Parc Guell (go early is my top tip) and Sagrada Familia.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now