Talk

Advanced search

Long-awaited opportunities for a couple of family holidays in Europe where to start?

(6 Posts)
AboveTheOxbow Tue 11-Mar-14 16:44:08

We are finally (after two years of a very poorly son and not much money) in a position to be able to afford some nice family holidays. DH and I love travel and can't wait to get DD and DS (2 and 5) out into the big, wide world.

In April we are visiting family in the French Alps and I was wondering where next? I love Germany, DH was wondering about a farm stay in Italy (he speaks fluent Italian) and we are both tempted by Scandinavia.

As you can tell, we are not bothered about hot weather and don't really do lounging by the pool. But I'd rather not do the whole 'hauling up an historic Tuscan bell tower' thing just yet- just beautiful spaces, nice accommodation and a bit of culture.

Any suggestions?

frankincensemydear Tue 11-Mar-14 18:23:28

We are thinking of the Black Forest by train this year. Haven't been to Germany for years, but fancy somewhere different as we have been visiting France more the last few years as it is easily accessible.

We have enjoyed Sardinia for some previous holidays. There are ancient and Roman sites for a little bit of culture, but not too much for little ones. The inland mountains and really beautiful beaches with shallow clean water which children your ages would love. We stay with friends,but there are definitely farm stays available. It is really easy with younger children, as the Sardinians welcome them everywhere as far as we could see.

We have also considered Scandinavia,but I though I'd read this book first.

AboveTheOxbow Tue 11-Mar-14 19:59:56

Sardinia sounds wonderful- that idea has been mooted here too.

I have been to the Mosel Valley which is lovely but my real love is Bavaria. It's a bit of a long haul though (by car). I wondered about flying to Munich and hiring a car. Have only done cottages in the UK so feel nervous about not packing the right stuff, not taking toys etc if we fly. I know it will be fine- we are clearly not the first family ever to have taken a holiday abroad!

ShanghaiDiva Thu 13-Mar-14 12:41:00

Netherlands has good food, culture and easy to get around. Take a look at Rompot brochure for holiday homes.
Bavaria is great - I used to live in Regensburg - and lots of great day trips from Munich - Oberammergau, schloss Linderhof, Garmisch. I wouldn't worry too much about toys as you can kids to the park to play and the flight is pretty short from the UK.
Austria - plane to Salzburg - think you can go with Ryan Air - and then hire a car. Swim in the lakes, great food and lots to see and do and beautiful scenery.
Italy - we took ds to Tuscany when he was 2 (rained every day!) and I found the Tuscan hill top town a little samey after a while. On a practical point some of the cafes and restaurants there were a little small and it was a a complete pain with the push chair - but we needed to go inside as it rained all the time!
N.Italy is very nice - have been to Merano (nice spa town) several times, but not sure how easy it is to get to from the UK. Nearest airport must be Bolzano.

Ohanarama Thu 13-Mar-14 18:53:37

Austria is lovely in the summertime and the Kinderhotels (I've never tried them myself but always wanted to) look fabulous if you've got a reasonably generous budget.

dingalong Thu 13-Mar-14 23:19:16

What about the sud Tirol ?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now