Talk

Advanced search

Sousse, Tunisia

(5 Posts)
LondonSuperTrooper Fri 28-Feb-14 10:54:31

My DC (6 years old) & I have booked a holiday to Sousse. Has anyone been there? Do you have any recommendations for activites that we can do together? Or excursions that shouldn't be missed?

TIA

Bunbaker Sat 01-Mar-14 23:48:18

Yes. I am sorry to say that it was the worst holiday we have ever been on.

That said, we stayed in a budget hotel and it coloured our view of budget holidays, and now, if we can't afford to stay somewhere nice, we stay at home.

Sousse itself is quite interesting and we stayed there because it wasn't a characterless, purpose built resort.

We visited Matmata, where they filmed some of the scenes from Star Wars in the troglodyte dwellings. We also went to the Roman remains at Djem and to the mosque at Kairouan. Just remember to wear appropriate clothing.

I hope that Sousse has done something with the sewage system because the city stank of sewage all the time we were there. We also saw a lot of cockroaches - some of them in restaurants and, unfortunately, in out hotel.

We also found it quite annoying to be hassled all the time when we weren't in the hotel. In the evenings, walking around, the place was full of men, but no women. None of the cafes or restaurants had any local women in them.

This was in 1985, so I don't know how much things have changed.

Sorry, but it probably wasn't what you wanted to hear.

craftynclothy Sun 02-Mar-14 00:00:41

We really enjoyed our holiday there (way back in 2005 iirc).

With a 6yo I'd say definitely get the noddy train (road train) to Port El Kantaoui.

Wear long skirts and tunic tops with sleeves as you get a much better reception from the locals. Just say a firm "No thank you" to people trying to sell you stuff.

LondonSuperTrooper Mon 03-Mar-14 10:52:00

Bunbaker, sorry that you had such a terrible holiday.

Crafty, thanks for the suggestions. I'm off now to google noddy train!

bigTillyMint Tue 04-Mar-14 13:33:22

We went to that area a couple of times when the DC were small (about 2006ish?) We always had a great time in Tunisia - stayed in various places. Never saw any cockroaches or had bad times. They loved the beach and the hotel swimming pools and the staff who made a big fuss of themsmile

IIRC Port El Kantoui is nearby with a zoo (? didn't go but think it's ok) and a sort of submarine boat thing, plus other boat trips out. We also did a camel trek (not very far, early evening) one time - have never laughed so much, but I won't be doing it again! The souk is very full-onwink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now